Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2020

Dream, Drums, Art and shit

I dreamed that I was at a large party in a huge Victorian mansion, jam-packed with dull but socially smooth and ultra expensively dressed rich people. Obvs not my crowd. I wasn’t an invited guest, no. My attendance was somehow related to my gig – freelance graphic design. How? Fuck knows.

I was wandering from room to room, trying to find the woman for whom I was doing the drawings and layout. No one so much as glanced at me which totally worked for me. I was NOT there to chit chat about the new, dreadfully disappointing renovations at the yacht club, CeCe’s big win at the dog show or how Pamela found the sweetest kimono on her last St. Barts shopping holiday.

Yeah, no. I was there for work.

Coco was with me, traveling in my big oversized tote. Naturally she escaped and led me on a not so merry chase around the back hallways and servant’s quarters. Yes, I finally caught her but now she was an orange tabby, not a tux. This of course puts Virginia Woolf’s Orlando in mind. Why? That’s just how my mind works, thenkyewveddymuch.

Sally Potter’s brilliant film of Orlando is now playing in my head. I believe I’ll need to pick up a copy. LOVED that movie.

Also in my head this morning – Rainy Days and Mondays. Yes, the Carpenters.

Talkin' to myself and feelin' old
Sometimes I'd like to quit
Nothin' ever seems to fit
Hangin' around
Nothin' to do but frown
Rainy days and Mondays always get me down

Warum? It’s Monday, dark, rainy and chilly – OF COURSE this is playing in me bean!

Did you know? The Carpenters started as a jazz trio – yeah, Karen was a jazz drummer. Huh. Waddayaknow.
I was just 12 years old when they hit the top ten but, fer fuck’s sake,  even then I could see that their tunes should’ve come wrapped with “sanitized for your protection” strips. Close to You? That insipidly cloying, pool of sugared cheese, their first big hit, came out the same year as American Woman by the Guess Who, War by Edwin Starr and Spill the Wine by Eric Burden and War

 Now? At the ripe old age of 62, I can appreciate the Carpenters musicality but their albums, even if I had hearing, would never come within a mile of my turntable or CD player or whatever device people listen to tunes on now.

In any case, it’s a bleak, dreary November Monday. As of yesterday, 256,597 total U.S. citizens have died painfully and alone from the Republican sponsored Plague45. On Sunday alone there were 141,648 new cases, 844 deaths and 83,782 hospitalizations and we have 58 more days until the Tantrum Toddler is shit-canned.

Yeah, we’re fucked and I think I need to Irish up my coffee now, thenks.

No comments:

Post a Comment