Search This Blog

Friday, December 4, 2020

Shooting the Rapids on the River Styx

That’s what this year feels like. We’re all flailing about, struggling, shooting the rapids on the River Styx.

I got word on Wednesday that my beloved father, who lives in an excellent nursing home in rural Western Pennsylvania, has come down with COVID. As of yesterday, he didn’t have a fever and wasn’t terribly symptomatic. Daddy, however, is 84, has been in a wheelchair for the past ten years (at least) and is pretty damn frail. I don’t expect the daily status reports to remain so benign.

I’m scared. Wicked.

Also, my heart hurts that I can’t go down and see him, hold his hand and make him laugh. A lot, my heart hurts.

While I found the home’s COVID precautions page a little confusing, my understanding is that they’ve been careful and strict about following CDC guidelines. As far as I know, apart from brief outdoor, socially distanced visits during the summer, visits have been limited to Zoom and talking through the windows. The facility is one floor and every room has a big window to the outdoors.

Here’s the thing though – the staff. They go home at the end of their shift. They see their friends and family. Are they all assiduously vigilant 100% of the time. Doubt it – these are humans not robots, not cloistered nuns. Even if they don’t go to restaurants and parties or run around maskless, someone they’re in contact with did.

Typically, a person develops symptoms 5 days after being infected, but symptoms can appear as early as 2 days after infection or as late as 14 days after infection, and the time range can vary.
~~~~~
It’s possible for people to spread the virus for about 2 days before experiencing signs or symptoms and remain contagious for at least 10 days after signs or symptoms first appeared. If someone is asymptomatic or their symptoms go away, it’s possible to remain contagious for at least 10 days after testing positive for COVID-19.
(source

Doing a temperature and symptoms check for nursing home (and hospital) staff at the start of each shift is wonderful BUT it’s not gonna catch the COVID carriers who aren’t yet exhibiting symptoms or are asymptomatic.

Obvs, some staffer at Daddy’s home was either not as careful as necessary OR was exposed to a careless someone.

Yesterday alone, here in Massachusetts, there were 6,675 new cases with 1,324 extra added hospitalizations. Across the country there were 216,548 new cases, 100,667 fresh hospital admissions and 2,857 deaths. Nearly 3,000 more dead in ONE day – it didn't need to be like this.

I was to have my annual mammogram at MGH yesterday. It’s already been postponed a couple times due to my slow-ass recovery. Yup, Jen rescheduled for me once again. I do NOT need to add Plague45 to the top of my health struggle sundae.

I texted with Doc Plotkin, my neuro minder yesterday. He’s given me the all clear to have the vaccine once it’s available. I’d asked if it would clash with the Nf2 or any of the myriad meds I’m on. Nope.

The NY Times has a handy site up that shows where each of us stands in the vaccine queue. Me? There are 602,400-ish fellow Bay Staters and 139,200 Bostonians in front of me. They include healthcare workers, nursing home residents, first responders and folks whose health is more dodgy than mine.

Huh, good and bad news. My health is less dire than I’d thought and I get to see how other people react to the vaccine before I take it. On the other hand, I have to wait. 

I HATE waiting!

4 comments:

  1. I'll take it as soon as possible...

    https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/dec/03/the-covid-vaccine-trust-safe-works-political

    My next door neighbors (republicans) had a rather large Thanksgiving dinner party. The've been having social occasions over at their house throughout plague-45. Wednesday I noticed that neither of them went to work, which is unusual. The same thing happened yesterday, and then again today (unprecedented). I'm hoping they're OK, but know they have put themselves at needless risk. Just a democrat hoax I guess. Some time next week if nothing changes, I'll call 911 and request a wellness visit. Hate to see anyone die because of a hoax, but damn...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link!

      I don't necessarily want to see my Trumpist neighbors die from a bad run in with reality but I won't be shedding tears either. That'll be nice of you to call for a wellness check. Tell me how it turns out, please.

      Delete
  2. By-the-bye, that is not how you steer a driftboat. SIT DOWN, thank you. In the middle of the boat on a bench afixed to the boat, not the beer-cooler; and two oars, what's he point of having a boat that can spin 360° if you limit yourself to 180? That's kinda' like NASCAR, just going in circles. I gave thought to setting up a float down the Deschutes in a MacKenzie River Driftboat the last time you were out to Oregon, but wasn't sure you'd be able to sit the boat for eight or even four hours. Or I could communicate all there is to see.

    A different, a stark and not necessarily good, way of looking at the stats is we've now reached a point where everyone knows someone who has contracted the trump-virus. Two-weeks ago everyone knew someone who had been exposed, for example my mother in Texas and daughter and grand-daughters in Oregon, now we all know someone who has it. I haven't got a lot of good to say right now 'bout Muircans' petulant exceptionalism.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh, I don't like boats. We have perfectly good land/shore from which I can watch the waves. I aim to stay out of the depths and pitching waves :-)

      OK, OK, the boat trip DOES sound like fun but you'd have to get me high first.

      Delete