Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Operator

As a deafie, if I’m alone and need help, what can I do? Yes, given my semi-demi-commune style living sitch, the odds of me being alone during an emergency are extraordinarily slim BUT I like to be prepared.

Back when I first shed my hearing (16 years ago), today’s super-duper tech was but a dream. There was TTY (TeleTYpe) where you could dial into a relay service operator. The operator, in turn, called the intended message recipient to convey the info/the 411 in text form via a teleprinter. OR vice versa. If the caller was deaf and the intended party had hearing, the operator would voice transfer the message. This set up required a conventional phone, a hardwired line.

Years ago, when we first moved to Valhalla, TAB and I got rid of our landline. Why? We had cell phones – not only did a landline seem redundant, it was an extra expense that we couldn’t manage. The only reason to have one was to have TTY. Being, at that time, young (*cough* 44 *cough*) and stupid, thinking I’ll never need to call 911 AND, just generally, hating talking on the phone, we took a pass.

Now that I’m an old broad (and apparently in possession of a thing for rescue squads and ambulance crews), I feel a definite need to have all my bases covered. Ya know, what IF I’m alone and a seizure’s hitting me up?

Waddya know, there’s now TTY for cell phones. Ooookay, I’ll need to learn more about this.

Easier though, as of January 16, 2019, here in Massachusetts, I can just text 911. I did NOT know this. Jen’s gonna call our local rescue squad to make sure this is a real, true, goin' concern. Seems TOO simple and common sensical.
It is important to make every effort to begin the text message indicating the town you are in and provide the best location information that you can. (source)

Yup, that'd be smart.

Other good things to know, not specifically deaf related, about calling 911 via cell can be found here.

Anotha cool bit, I have an iPhone (an old one which I’m overdue on replacing) – it has an Emergency SOS thingie (maybe all cell phones do?). I just need to tap the sleep/wake button five times fast and good shit happens. (Do I also click my ruby slippered heels together and chant there's no place like MGH?) That is, I think good shit happens – must read more about this AND get an updated phone.

I’ll bet there’s a ton more cool, easy SOS shit for the audio banjaxed. Must explore.

Jim Croce – Operator

No comments:

Post a Comment