Search This Blog

Friday, September 13, 2024

Fame

I’m who-the-fuck-are-these-people years old.

I haven’t looked at entertainment mags in absolute yonks. Not even online. Okay, the exception is Rolling Stone. Obviously, I can’t fully appreciate the music posts (deaf here) but they’ve got decent political columns, teevee and movies reviews.

When perusing magazine covers with young pretty people, I used to wonder, “why is this person famous? What have they done?” Now? Nothing...I don't care. I figure they’re just this month/year’s hot flavor. They’ll be out of the news by the time summer rolls around next year if not sooner.

I’ve seen celebs described as brat or a brat and I see that the word no longer necessarily means a badly behaved child or an adult behaving like a badly behaved child.

In modern pop culture, the word brat refers to someone who is confidently rebellious, unapologetically bold, and playfully defiant….

e.g.: Their music video is pure brat energy, full of bold colors and rebellious vibes.
(source)
Drake? I get the sense Us isn’t featuring pics and posts about ducks. Is this a person, a band, a fresh, hot game app or new slang, maybe? If it’s a person, are they on a teevee show? Is this a TikTok influencer? Do they sing? Are they a sportsball player? Do hey make fancy popcorn? Who the fuck is this? If it doesn’t directly effect my life, why should I waste my time and/or money reading about it?

Yes, I’ve become that annoying friend with ALL the questions. Okay, that should be past tense as I no longer ask. If it seems important, I'll google.

I mostly read about current events—news from here and abroad. Even there, I usually skip over the LOOK-AT-ME, LOOK-AT-ME stories. Do I need to waste time on the latest rancid drivel from Empty G or the dimwitted Beetlejuice babe? Laurie Loomer—why in fuck’s name is she newsworthy and honestly, unless she’s running for president, I don’t need to learn another thing about her. (okay, I already know she’s delulu, a plastic surgery addict and a Dementia Donnie worshiper) Florida Man, Matt Gaetz? Is he still relevant? I know, I know…has he ever been? Isn’t being the butt of jokes the entirety of his life’s purpose—him, Josh Hawley, Ted Cruz and the rest of Trump’s party, that is.

They’re all just boring, rabid clowns who need to shut the fuck up and crawl back under their rocks. I know, what did the poor rocks do to deserve having these mutant weirdos under them?

What else am I interested in now that I’m old? Art, fiction, cats, space, rocks, my loved ones and, did I mention, cats. I’m a sucker for sea-life (particularly octopuses and orcas), bats and skunks too. 

The more ancient I become, the less I give a shit about the freakazoids who are famous for being famous (Hello Kardashians!), attractive but talentless fame whores (again, hello Kardashians!) or famous for spouting bullshit geysers and being a human shaped dumpster fire (a certain EX president clown face comes to mind).

Fame attracts lunatics.

~ Elton John




No comments:

Post a Comment