Search This Blog

Saturday, December 2, 2017

Found

Jen and I mortored down to the Foundry Artists Association Show in Pawtucket (Rhode Island) after work yesterday. All hand made art and crafts by local folk.

Despite the skid marks on my card, I exhibited a huge degree of self control. OH, yes I did. My mantra of late is Buy Only What You Need or Can’t Live Without. I’m also channeling The Amazing Bob – bring something new home and something old has to go. Valhalla’s a wee cottage and as much as I can SO see myself doing this I’ve no intention of becoming an art hoarder.

Sure, I spent more than I should’ve yesterday BUT almost all my purchases will be prezzies for friends and fam. So there.

On the whole, the pottery was a tad disappointing (which certainly assisted my weak resolve).

Sheilagh Flynn – I specifically wanted to pick up a bowl, mug or small tile of hers but there was none to be had. Instead, all I saw were larger tiles and BIG wall pieces. Also, as opposed to previous years, her colors seemed murky. (insert frowny face here) I’m figuring that all her great stuff and smaller functional ware must have sold out on opening night. Though I won’t be able to get back down to Pawtucket for another visit, I hope she restocks. The link to her website (on her Foundry page) just FYI, doesn’t appear to be set up beyond a pic and a Leave a Reply bit.

Robert Fishman had some gorgeous work but I really don’t need a brie baker or a party dip/chip plate. He didn’t have any smaller work like soup bowls or mugs – things I could justify bringing home (small, relatively inexpensive and MUST HAVE). Maybe all his smaller work sold out on opening night too?

The ceramics disappointment factor is, undoubtedly, just me. There were other good potters there – the work just didn’t inspire me to  pry open my wallet.

OK, ‘cept for Belinda Gabryl of Gabija . Just so ya know, one can never have enough grinning skull or baby head shot glasses (Tot Shots as she calls them). I really wanted one of her skull plates but A) they weren’t free (I know *SHOCKING!*) and B) I honestly, sadly don’t need one.

Other faves were there again like James Polisky. I’m in TOTAL love with his prints. I managed to get outta the show with a pack of holiday cards and just two small prints. I consider this a major feat of self control. Yes, please do applaud me now, mon ami!

Likewise with Stephanie Mason’s octopus prints and tiles.

I steered, mostly, clear of the jewelers. Too dear for my wee budget and it was too damn tempting to bust said budget. Dahlia Kanner and Jan Cal of Yesterday Gets Better had some dangerously alluring pieces. There were a couple artists with more bucko friendly work such as Atomic Earrings  and Nancy Reid-Carr. So…yeah…earrings were bought. They always are. Inevitable and shit.

Deb Kracht's ArtHead Studio was there. Her quirky, cool assemblages and sculptures are brill fun. The only thing stopping me from bringing one home is that I’ve no no room for small sculptures. Kinda full up on that score.

Lynne Lovely of Lovely Glass Works inspired me to enter splurge city. LOVE her light catchers!

And there were fab fiber artists.

Maya Tavares Cordeiro of Bristol Looms had some swoon worthy blankets and scarves.

Elizabeth Howland had some absolutely brill jackets. I don’t need another jacket and knew that if I moved in for a closer look and felt the material, I’d try one or three on and splurge. Inevitable guilt was tapping me on the shoulder hard with pointy fingers so I just took pics. Yea me! Incredibly, she doesn’t have a website OR an Etsy page. The above link has her email and phone contact info, if you’re so inclined.

Cindy Walsh of Red Rover Clothing – I really wanted to take home one of her brill, beautiful hats but I have chapeaux at home that I don’t wear. I simply couldn’t square the expense. Christ I was good yesterday!

And a new tremendous find:

Jen Gubicza of Zooguu Handmade Plush Toys – I can’t tell you how much I want one of these babies. A plush unicorn trophy head over my dresser would be just about perfect, don’cha think? Maybe in the spring, after my bank account’s recovered from this holiday season, I could invest in one. Ya know, if I wait that long, this MUST-HAVE fever may’ve passed! Fingers crossed?

The show’s up through December 10th. If you’re in New England, ya really gotta go! They’re at:
The Pawtucket Armory | Center for the Arts
172 Exchange Street, Pawtucket, RI 02860
And here are some handy dandy directions too!


No comments:

Post a Comment