Search This Blog

Sunday, December 24, 2017

Stella Speaks!

Pre-adoption I was a little nervous.
My pals in Phoenix, Jenny and John, just adopted a charming and rambunctious young rescue pup. Stella Blue joins them along with Odie the Wonder Dog and Sapphire, their sweet feline overlord.

This is: The Stella Report: Day 4, straight from the dog's mouth.

My new family seems to be adjusting nicely to me. I have four new family members in my new home and sometimes I have to muster up my best people and animal skills to keep the peace. "John" seems to think he is the authority figure around here. He tries to act tough, but is really a nice guy. He hangs out during the day, while "Jenny" abandons us to go to "work" (whatever that is). For some reason, he thinks it's more important to talk to the phone and send "sales orders" (again, what is this stuff?!) to people, than to play with me all day. But he has been taking me for walks, so I let him slide.

Once here, I had to do some serious investigation.
Will this place work for me?
Jenny and John seem to think it's a problem that I like to nibble on fingers and jump up on them. I get sooooo excited and I just have to demonstrate how much I love them. They are talking about taking me to "obedience" classes. I've heard there are treats involved, so I'm actually down with this.

YES!
Jenny thinks we should do something called "Agility" classes, after I pass Basic. She thinks I would be really good at running and jumping (which I totally am), and it would be a productive use of my limitless energy. Sounds fun. I'm game. Again, I think there are treats involved.

They have been challenging me with various types of toys, trying to find ones that I can't decimate within 24 hours. I do enjoy showing them that most toys are no match for my superior chewing skills. They seem unimpressed but pleased that I don't bother their furniture or shoes.

I've taught them to play "fetch", but they aren't very good at the tug of war part, when I return with the toy. They seem to think I should just drop the it at their feet, and let them pick it back up with no effort on their part. They don't seem to realize that keeping them from having the toy back is the funnest part.

Odie, AKA Goodie Four Paws
Then there's the "shower". The humans get in this thing called a "tub" every day, and let water squirt all over them from the ceiling. I love to put my head in between the shower curtain and the tub, and put my feet up on the side and keep them company. I'm pretty damp by the time it's all over, as is the floor beside the tub but they indulge me, because I enjoy it so much. Once they turn the water off, I jump in, and lick the water off the bottom of the tub. Tub water tastes soooo much better than kitchen sink dish water.

Sapphire, AKA Bed King
Then there's "Odie Blue" ( AKA “Goodie Four Paws"), the big goofy dog they call my brother. I must admit that we do look a bit alike and we have the same last name. So...maybe. Sometimes I have to remind Odie that all toys in the house belong to me. He mostly acknowledges that everything’s all about me. I noticed that Jenny is very careful to tell him what a "good boy" he is, after I've admonished him for getting too close to my toys. Whatever. 

Then there's the cat, "Sapphire". What a stick in the mud! He's claimed "the bed" as his domain – Jenny and John go along with this (???). To keep the peace, I go along with it for the most part and don't go up there. Every once in awhile I forget and am quickly reprimanded by the cat and/or humans. At least the cat has quit growling and hissing every time I get within 10 feet of him.

Oh, and then there's "the crate." I usually only have to go in there at bedtime, so I don't fuss when they put me in. I do get a treat every time. So there's that. All in all, we are getting along very well. There was another family that adopted me before John and Jenny found me, and they took me back to the shelter because their other animals didn’t like me. Huh. I'm glad this family has learned so quickly that I'm a great addition and we all work so well together to keep the peace.

I very much look forward to meeting Stella the next time I'm in Phoenix.

4 comments:

  1. Awesome chronicling of a happy adoption.
    Merry Christmas, Donna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the way this has been put together. Jenny certainly is a talented writer, and between the two of you, you've made Stella Speaks worth clicking on the link. Thanks, Joyce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She definitely is and I LOVE it when she guest posts!

      Thank you!

      Delete