Search This Blog

Saturday, December 9, 2017

Walkabouts

This life size horse sculpture in the lobby is a lamp!!!
It’s MY holiday and I'll spend it as I please. Dammit. What’s this defensive posture about?

Yesterday after I got to Dublin and my posh hotel, Brenda and I (she accompanied me – helped me get situated) had lunch at the fabulous Writer’s Lounge. I splurged with an espresso “martini” – best I’ve ever had. We people watched before she had to catch the bus back to Slane and work.

I went up to my très comfy room and put in a coupla hours of work. Yes…work. Remember? I’m freelance – gotta grab it while I can. Afterward, I went for a brief walkabout. I’m smack-dab on O’Connell – the main drag here. I didn’t see much to capture my interest but then, I was much more fascinated by all the passing pedestrians. Every color and shade that can be found in humanity. AWESOME! I felt at home.
Blue skies outside the Writer's Lounge!
 
On returning, I grabbed my laptop and went back to the Writer’s Lounge to continue with projects whilst sipping a lovely Malbec and nibbling gratis treats. The bar was now packed with post work revelers – MORE fab people watching. After sending off a fresh batch ‘o’ proofs, I bid the joint adieu and went up to my room to read and reflect on LIFE and shit.

In case you didn’t catch it – I’m not a scintillating human. Yur shocked…I know. I enjoyed the hell outta my day even though I wasn’t off doing BIG sightseeing type things. Actually, I’m a lousy tourist in general. I prefer going to new places and experiencing them as a native would – slowly and without hype. I wanna savor the details of all I come across – get a sense of what it might be like to live there/here.

Today I’ll begin my walking tour, looking for the Cian McLoughlin paintings which he so kindly twigged me to. As I wander, I’m sure I’ll see rafts of other interesting bits and pieces. Also too, I'm quite certain there's Jamo in my future. Mmmmmmmmm.

Off I go.

For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel’s sake. The great affair is to move.
~ Robert Louis Stevenson

We travel, some of us forever, to seek other places, other lives, other souls.
~ Anais Nin

No place is ever as bad as they tell you it’s going to be.
~ Chuck Thompson

No comments:

Post a Comment