Search This Blog

Monday, January 15, 2018

The Lion in Winter

I'm, naturally, referring to Umlaut, not King Henry II. You knew that though...right? And, OK, OK, a more apt phrase would be The Panther in Winter (given our boy’s glossy dark coat). Geez, picky, picky, picky!

In any case and I may have mentioned this already…

Also too, you’ve possibly already taken note of this…

It’s winter and really bloody cold outside! 

Not pretty but it's dry and outta the wind
I still have Rocco’s old cat house from his pre-retirement days. I lined it with flannel sheets and set it up on the front porch for Umlaut. I covered it with The Amazing Bob’s old bright yellow rain jacket. Not all neat, tidy and House Beautiful BUT it's a snow-free, cozy crib. Right next to the banquet table too, just FYI.

So far, it seems, Umlaut’s not into rack-time on our porch but, ya know, it could happen.

This morning when I called him for brekkie, he was RIGHT there, sporting a fine coat of snowflakes. GUILT! Poor fella’s been out in the frozen, precipitating weather, undoubtedly starving and, lazy slag that I am, I woke up late. Christ! Is he warm enough? Is his crib, wherever that is, outta the elements? Does anyone else feed him?

The answer to that last one is, yes, Specifically, Jen and Oni. They were up before me, saw our mini-panther at their door and put out a bowl of kibble. Maybe there are other neighbors who pick up the stray cat banquetizing slack? Hope so! To chill out my conscience pangs, our sweet puma got, on top of his usual meal of Friskies and kibble, catnip treats and a little tuna.

Though my sweet Princess wouldn’t be keen on another roommate (understatement alert) I’d let Umlaut in if he expressed any interest at all. I’m not, however, gonna force, indoor life on him. That’s just not how we roll here.

4 comments:

  1. It sounds like it's cold everywhere right now (even down here where I live, where it's never ever cold). Good on you for making the cold world a little better for someone out there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember one Christmas season, when I was staying with carnie pals just outside of Houston—selling fireworks, it snowed. Blew me clean away—snow in Houston!!!!

      Also too, thank you.

      Delete
  2. Fifty-five degrees today, three days running. No snow on the mountains. Starting to freak out the few of us who pay attention to these sort of things. If we don't get some moisture down here soon, we could burn up faster next summer than so cal last month.

    The duet Lion in Winter by Hoyt Axton and Linda Rondstat is my favorite song.

    Like a ship out on the ocean, made of stone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’d share the cold an tomorrow’s snowstorm with you if I could, man!

      I don’t believe I ever heard that tune. Damn. Love that lyric.

      Delete