Search This Blog

Sunday, April 1, 2018

Peeps, Bunnies and Eggs – Oh My!

I woke from a dream where I was bringing The Amazing Bob up to the entrance to the Neck – the skewed intersection of Sea and Babcock Streets. It was a seriously overcast day – the sky was 98 shades of grey and the ocean was 98 more. We were standing together, holding hands as always, waiting for a friend to pick him up. We were saying goodbye and I knew this was a permanent adieu, cheerio and so-long.

When Dave pulled up, TAB and I had a stunningly calm last hug and kiss. My hero folded himself into the front seat and they motored off.

Half of my being was/is gone. HOW CAN THIS BE?!

Christ almighty, that was a stone dirtball of a dream. Nothing like waking up six feet deep in contemplations of being and nothingness, life and death and existence in the face of stratospheric loss. Man, good ol' Jean-Paul, Martin and my buddy Friedrich got an early jump on today!
Dudes, let’s have some coffee first. K? Hells bells, it’s Easter – lighten up, have a peep, maybe some cannoli

I’ve written a bunch about my Easter love before. There was the year that Jen and I spent it in Italy, where I came to fully grok the depth, the unavoidable concreteness of my complete, no-longer-part-time vegetarianism. One year, I showed what eggs would look like if the Expressionists had applied themselves to the occasion. There was a vampire themed year. I had a Christmas post where I waxed on about the obvs superiority of this spring holiday.
If Jerry painted eggs...
My folks were always happy, rather, happy and not fighting, on that day. We went to midnight mass, came home and slept late. We awoke to Easter baskets containing clever, intricate maps to our decorated eggs, chocolate bunnies and, best of all, our new Easter dresses and shoes.
How am I spending this second Easter without TAB. I’ll hit the gym – attempt to elliptical off some of my misery-mare melancholy. Joe will be over later. If the rain holds off, we’ll have a walk on Nantasket and then snag some take out Thai and watch movies. This evening, Jen, Oni and I will have cocktails and, quite likely, cannoli.

Low-key festive – it's how I roll.

Seasons don't fear the reaper
Nor do the wind, the sun or the rain, we can be like they are
Blue Öyster Cult – Don't Fear the Reaper

Sweet dreams and flying machines in pieces on the ground.

Oh, I've seen fire and I've seen rain. I've seen sunny days that I thought would never end.
I've seen lonely times when I could not find a friend,
but I always thought that I'd see you baby, one more time again, now.
James Taylor – Fire and Rain

And when the night is cloudy
There is still a light that shines on me
Shine until tomorrow
Let it be
The Beatles – Let it Be

No comments:

Post a Comment