Search This Blog

Thursday, December 5, 2019

I want magic!

I didn’t go outside at all yesteday, not once – not even to the gym. Didn’t even check my usual, daily, go-to news reports. Warum? Why the house-boundness? Was I sick?

No. No more than usual at ay rate. I was buried in a blizzard of work.

Wha’d I miss?
  • Did the Rapture come. Did all those nasty-ass, wouldn’t-know-Jesus-if-he-ran-over-them-in-a-speeding-steamroller evangelicals get disappeared down to where they truly belong? 
  • Did 45 and his griftersaurus republican crime cartel turn out to be nothing more than a bad dream? 
  • Did the planet heal itself from that hideous infestation of ecosystem destroying twatzillas? 
No such luck – NOT that I’ve gone out exploring OR looked at the dimwitted, orange dolt’s Twitter feed this morning. I’m just your basic reality based, carbon life form – I don’t believe in miracles.

"I don't want realism. I want magic!"
~ Tennessee Williams 

Yeah, you and me both brotha.

"The secret of happiness is to face the fact that the world is horrible, horrible, horrible."
~ Betrand Russell 

Well...gosh. That's kinda counterintuitive if soberly true.

"Life is painful and disappointing. It is useless, therefore, to write new realistic novels. We generally know where we stand in relation to reality and don’t care to know any more."
~ Michel Houellebecq, H.P. Lovecraft: Against the World, Against Life

THIS..THIS is why I RARELY read anything other than sci fi and fantasy. Besides the news reports which, especially in these past few years resemble dystopian nightmares. AND this is precisely why I never read Stephen King or go to horror movies...too much like real life.

"There are few people whom I really love, and still fewer of whom I think well.The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; and everyday confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence that can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense."
~ Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice

That Jane was a real Pollyanna, wasn’t she?

"I'm a member and preacher to that church where the blind don't see and the lame don't walk and what's dead stays that way."
~ Flannery O'Connor, Wise Blood

Yeah, me too. Still I hope and dream. I have fantasies. What IF my hearing miraculously returned? I still couldn’t sing worth a damn but at least I could hear my off key warblings.

"Realism falls short of reality. It shrinks it, attenuates it, falsifies it; it does not take into account our basic truths and our fundamental obsessions: love, death, astonishment. It presents man in a reduced and estranged perspective. Truth is in our dreams, in the imagination. "
~ Eugène Ionesco

"Put a higher value on yourself. Being hyper-realistic about everything is too simple a get-out. "
~ J.G. Ballard, Cocaine Nights

"If I were writing a novel I would end it here: a novel, I used to think, has to end somewhere, but I'm beginning to believe my realism has been at fault all these years, for nothing in life now ever seems to end. Chemists tell you matter is never completely destroyed, and mathematicians tell you that if you halve each pace in crossing a room, you will never reach the opposite wall, so what an optimist I would be if I thought that this story ended here."
~ Graham Greene, The End of the Affair

"Why harrow oneself by looking on the worst side?... Because it is sometimes necessary."
~ Agatha Christie, Sad Cypress

"Reality itself is too obvious to be true."
~ Jean Baudrillard

No comments:

Post a Comment