Search This Blog

Sunday, February 14, 2021

Openings

What are some of your favorite opening lines to tunes you love? Here are some of mine.  I’m sure I'm missing way more than just a few. After all, I've been deaf since 2004 so I know I’ve forgotten a shit-ton. Here are the ones which immediately come to my mind:

Werewolves of London
– Warren Zevon

I saw a werewolf with a Chinese menu in his hand
Walking through the streets of SoHo in the rain

Cure for Pain – Morphine
Where is the ritual?
And tell me where, where is the taste?
Where is the sacrifice?
And tell me where, where is the faith?

Every Picture Tells a Story – Rod Stewart
Spent some time feeling inferior
Standing in front of my mirror

Diamond Dogs
– Bowie
As they pulled you out of the oxygen tent, you asked for the latest party

Bird on the Wire
– Leonard Cohen
Like a bird on the wire 
Like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

Day In the Life – Beatles

I read the news today, oh boy
About a lucky man who made the grade

Subterranean Homesick Blues – Dylan
Johnny’s in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I’m on the pavement
Thinking about the government.

All Along the Watchtower – Bob Dylan (best Performance by Hendrix)
There must be some kind of way outta here
Said the joker to the thief

Killer Queen – Queen
She keeps her Moet et Chandon
In her pretty cabinet
‘Let them eat cake’ she says / Just like Marie Antoinette.”

Sounds of Silence – Simon and Garfunkel
Hello darkness, my old friend
I’ve come to talk with you again

American Pie
– Don McLean
A long, long time ago
I can still remember how
That music used to make me smile.

The Cool, Cool River
– Paul Simon

Moves like a fist through traffic
Anger and no one can heal it

Comfortably Numb  – Pink Floyd
Hello? Is there anybody in there?

The End – The Doors
This is the
Beautiful friend

What are some of your favorite song openings?

No comments:

Post a Comment