Search This Blog

Friday, September 29, 2023

Slow Growth

The man who moves a mountain begins by carrying away small stones.
~ Confucius

This morning was my last physical therapy appointment. The last one for now, that is. My original goal had been to transition from walker to cane. I’ve been, however, judged not physically capable of this feat. Not YET anyway. The general plan is for me to keep doing all the at-home exercises (and there are a shit-ton of ‘em) for the next six months and then try walker to cane PT again.

I’m disheartened but also determined. Additionally, I recognize that I’ve not been as diligent as possible. What’s needed, for starters, is more structure. A specific, regular time of day for my workouts would help. Giving myself a bit of credit and grace would be useful too.

One step at a time.

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
~ Walter Elliot

Meanwhile in England, some ignorant, stupid, stupid teenage boy cut down the country’s most photographed, precious tree. It was more than 400 years old. I only mention it but England is hardly brimming with old forests.

We mentioned earlier that new shoots may be able to grow from the base of the tree trunk - but it's going to take time for the tree to become what it was.

"We would expect new growth to start next spring or summer but it will take a few years to develop into even a small tree, and around 150 to 200 years before it is anywhere close to what we have lost," says Mike Feather, the estate manager at the Woodland Trust.
(source)

Rotten kid. I imagine he learned how to disrespect and defile nature from his parents. Or not. Maybe they’re wonderful, planet respecting humans and the kid’s a psychopath. I wonder how many tortured dead animals have been found in this family’s town.

Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying 'I will try again tomorrow.'
~ Mary Anne Radmacher

I will exercise more later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment