Search This Blog

Friday, October 20, 2023

Covers

Yesterday as I was mindlessly scrolling on Threads, I came across one of those fun (but, ultimately, they're just tedious engagement begging) posts. You know the ones where
the person (could it be a bot?):

  • posts images of bands/performers/what-have-you and asks which is superior to the other
  • asks people to caption a strange pic
  • the poster ends a statement or hot take with “do you agree?”
  • posts a meme and directs you to repost if you agree

Generally, I find these annoying but occasionally these can be fun. The one I saw yesterday asked what’s the ‘best’ cover of a popular song. Normally, I would have just scrolled the myriad answers but hardly anyone had chimed in so I did with a link to Jimi Hendrix covering Dylan’s All Along the Watchtower. Someone responded with “I’ll see you and raise you a Bear McCreary” and posted a link. Awesome! Yeah, I can’t hear it BUT the dude mentioned there’s a lot of bass and percussion so maybe I could feel it (I’ll try later).

Picking just one beloved cover is impossible—there are so many brilliant ones out there.

Here are some of my favorites though. This list is far from a complete—it’s just off the top of my head and in no special order.

Marianne FaithfullWorking Class Hero (John Lennon)
Joe CockerWith a Little Help From My Friends (Beatles)
HendrixAll Along the Watchtower (Dylan) links to both versions above
Eddie VedderMasters of War (Dylan)
George HarrisonIf Not for You  (Dylan)
The BandI Shall Be Released  (Dylan)
Talking HeadsTake Me to the River (Al Green)
HeartBattle of Evermore (Led Zeppelin)
Hüsker Dü8 Miles High (the Byrds)
Tom JonesKiss (Prince)
Soft CellTainted Love (Gloria Jones)
Aretha FranklinRespect (Otis Redding)
Tina TurnerProud Mary (Creedence Clearwater Revival)
Jeff BuckleyHallelujah (Leonard Cohen)
Janis JoplinMe and Bobby McGee (Kris Kristofferson)
DevoSatisfaction (Rolling Stones)
The ClashI Fought the Law (The Crickets)
Otis ReddingStand By Me (Ben E. King)
Cyndi LauperGirls Just Want to Have Fun (Robert Hazard)
Sid ViciousMy Way (Frank Sinatra)

And here are some covers that I dearly wish I could hear but can’t (deaf for nearly 20 years now, don’cha know):

The Man Who Sold the World
Nirvana (Bowie) Yes, this came out before my sound system shit the bed BUT I didn’t catch it.
Slippery PeopleStaples Singers (Talking Heads)
Hotel CaliforniaGipsy Kings (Eagles)
Season of the WitchLou Rawls (Donovan)
Iron ManBad Plus (Back Sabbath done by a jazz quartet and I SO want to hear this!)
Benny and the JetsBiz Markie and the Beastie Boys (a rap version of Elton John? DAMN, I’m there!)

Do you have any favorite covers? What are they?

No comments:

Post a Comment