Search This Blog

Friday, February 24, 2012

Houdini and the Too Early Arrival of Spring

 How can you tell we’ll have/ARE having an early Spring?

Warmth -- OK the near 50 degree temps, here in the Boston area, at the end of February are kind of a big tip off. With the precocious arrival of comparatively balmy temps comes a couple of unmissed issues.

Coco goes all Houdini on us -- a lot. That is, our sly little furball slips out the door, into the big wide universe, with all the style and speed of Marie-Jose Perec in a hot race.
Just yesterday, as I dashed back iinside to grab my forgotten sunglasses and one more kiss from The Amazing Bob™,  Coco rocketed through our legs to freedom.

Bob and I attempted to sneak up on her, to slowly approach while talking softly and calmly. Our plan was to snatch her while she was sniffing at the lovely budding vegetation. Yeah, that worked a real treat. Like a neutrino auditioning for a shot at CERN she was out of reach. What followed was the 7 Neighbor's Yards of Hercules...em...Donna. Every time I got close, leaning over, speaking soothingly, she’d dart to the next yard. Finally, I caught up with her. Luckily a particularly fragrant bush had captured her attention. Or she let me catch her. Yup, that’s it. Chase is a fun game for her and having the outdoors brings 12,000 additional levels of adventure and excitement to the game.
Marie-Jose Perec

“Hi Kevin, I’m running a little late for work. You see the cat.....em. Nevermind.”

The other early Spring indicator is that my sinuses, never happy beasts anyway, are in full revolt.  Looks like I'm not alone in this. I’m a sneezy, coughing, headachey romantic vision lately.

You know, now that I’m thinking of it, why is it that, in fairy tales, it’s always the homely dwarf who has the allergies, personality disorders or is intellectually challenged. It’s never the chick (except for the Queens -- they’re usually bad news) and they all have insanely gorgeous skin too. Even the Queens.

No wonder most women are at least a little insecure. OK, that’s another post and now it’s time to play Hide and Seek with Houdini.



No comments:

Post a Comment