Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I'm Just Wild About...

Helen!

I think I fell in love with my niece even before she popped out of her mother’s oven. Helen Ruby was born during the Fall semester of my sophomore year in college. I was more or less living in Cogswell Hall, the music building, that term so when my older sister went into labor I staked out space near the front lobby pay phone (yes, there WAS a time before cell phones) and woe betide anyone who wanted to use it. “Go next door -- use their pay phone, No, I don’t care if you’ll be quick -- stay away from that phone!”

I didn’t get a chance to meet her until early summer when I hooked up with the carnival. My first thought she’s blond -- how did that happen? (duh, the father was sorta blond) My second thought, a question actually, What’s that smell? Hey, I was 19 and hadn’t changed diapers since my little sister was a baby. I’d time, only needed a minute really, to totally block that out of my memory.

In any case, Helen and I were mostly inseparable when I was on the road. She was a calm, loving, laughing and incredibly smart little girl. That and Helen was my buddy, my wee bairn, my sweetie.

On the day of my 20th birthday (mid August) we were playing a spot in west Texas. The day was cresting 100 degrees Fahrenheit -- wickedly oppressive to my Northern blood. There was no one on the midway. The show didn’t open until 6 PM so everyone was hibernating in their air conditioned trailers. (I camped in the back of a pick up truck that season.) It looked like a sure bet no one knew or remembered my very important day. Hell, I was no longer a teenager -- now an adult (hah!) -- this was a big, BIG occasion and no one remembered. Oh, woe was me.

I decided to splurge and spurge large. It was ridiculously clear that we, Helen and I, desperately needed some soft serve ice cream.  Into the baby backpack and onto my back she went. The Sonic was down an endless, dusty stretch of highway, a lot farther than I’d expected but we were on a mission. No turning back!

I was a sodden mess, at best, when we finally got there. The employees and patrons all seemed to be giving me funny sidelong once overs. Who was this sweaty, swarthy, cranky chick and what’s she doing with this sunny, buoyant, blond child? Well, that’s what I imagined they were thinking anyway.

Cup of vanilla soft serve now in hand,  I struggled out of the carrier and Helen and I settled in. The next hour was spent enjoying the AC, drinking it in, while spooning our treat into her little mouth.

I had three birthdays out there on the road. This one spent alone with Helen is the only one that stands out.

2 comments: