Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day Kvetch-a-thon

* Davy Jones (The Bieber of my time) died. WTF -- the man was just 66 years old. Hell I, almost but not really, have underwear that old!

* My sinus meds were expensive enough ($75 a month) that in less intense months I ‘sneezed and wheezed’ along without. I needed to a refill (the early spring is setting my sinuses into full blown Splendor in the Grass), the first since I got the new job and my health insurance changed. Now, just ONE of the ‘scripts is $307.  The other two are $163 and $60 apiece. So, guess what -- I’m going the natural route. Exercise -- a good long, fast walk, has always cleared out my nasty passages a bit -- I figure TWO long fast walks each day might obviate the med need entirely.

Hey, worth a shot. If it doesn’t work, yes, I’ll spend the dough. I’d just rather not.

* Jen and I stopped at our local pub after work -- I had a wicked yen for a Cosmopolitan. The young male bartender, after bringing me something that looked nothing like a Cosmo, confessed, on being asked “where’s the pink?,” that he didn’t know how to mix one. Now, the joint’s changed ownership and bartender-ship since the last time I ordered a mixed bev there and gone a bit upscale to boot, so I was def a wee bit surprised. The last time, under prior ownership, the mid-40s bartender babe consulted a recipe book and STILL managed to mix something that was wholly unlike a Cosmo (I’d heard, since then, that she got the gig because she was bangin’ -- such a romantic term -- the owners nephew) -- it was send-it-back-and-order-an-unfuckupable-beer wrong to say the least. This time was far different. He researched (Google -- what did we ever do before?) and made a fine one.

Never trust someone who got their job after a horizontal interview.

For some reason this inspired Jen to mixology creativity. She feels that, come the warm weather, what she really NEEDS to make me is a Lagavulin Slushie.  Jen’s just wondering which would be better -- a spring of mint or lemon thyme.

Thoughts?

* The friend of a friend is going through an extremely nasty ass separation and divorce. The violent, neglectful, alcoholic soon to be ex has sued for custody even though she’s never been keen on the kids. To be clear, the wife/mother who currently has custody, is also the bread winner as well as the kids fav. The courts, just today, awarded one of the 3 children to the bad parent/partner based solely on DNA. The kid is biologically related to her -- the only one of the three who is.

Angry? Me? No thanks, I’m already full up on absolute fury.

* Last, and a most assuredly minor, kvetch for today -- why is it that, when it snows, traffic comes to an all low fired stand still? I live in the Boston area for god’s sake -- we should be totally used to that fluffy white shit!

Yeah, rough commute home. AND, did I mention, my bartender didn’t know how to make a Cosmo.

OK, OK I’ll stop. Happy Hump Day all!

No comments:

Post a Comment