Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Tattoo You

OK, tattoo me.

I know, I know. I’m a 53 year old, deaf broad and it's been 30 odd (way odd, thank you very much) years since I came off the road with the carnival. Why now?

When I was with the show, tattoo ‘artists’ (and, believe me, that NEEDS to be in serious scare quotes) were everywhere. If you wanted a ‘lil’ devil, a valentine heart with birds or your squeeze-of-the-moment’s name emblazoned on a body part (just waiting to be tattooed over after the inevitable breakup) -- well, boy howdy that was easily done.

This was crap art with a capital E for Excremental Stinky Poopage.

Still and all I was sorely tempted. If I could have found someone with grand mas, QE2-loads of talent, I likely would have gone all Gustav Klimt on my ass (a canvas of some size). Yeah, yeah, I know -- it wouldn’t translate well to drawings on flesh. Luckily I’d enough sense to see that none of the ‘artists’ with the show had the talent to pull something like that off. The other thing I knew at that young age -- tastes change. I was laying odds on me actually growing, changing and maybe even *gasp* maturing.
So then, what the hell am I thinking, getting body art now, at this late age? Dunno, I just woke up and absolutely flat out knew the image I could see myself living with, committing to. Yep, Winnie the Pooh and Piglet. NOT the bloated, slicked up Disney versions though -- no, no, no, NO.  I want a faithful repro of one of the original illustrations, done by Punch illustrator, Ernest Shepard.

Why Pooh and Piglet? When The Amazing Bob and I first started seeing each other we often spoke to each other in Pooh-verse. Maybe that’s because he had an 8 year old who he was just  wild about. Coulda been due to The Tao of Pooh -- this favorite book, pretty much, encompassing our respective, belief systems. And perhaps the stories took us to the happy childhood neither of us had. Or, conceivably, we just loved the books just because and because.

No matter the case, Bob’s always been Pooh and I’ve always been Piglet. *Ahem* yes, we ARE strong with the sappiness, now that you mention it.  Truth be told, we’re kinda giddy with it too

I guess this is just another way to celebrate, honor and note our 27 years together.

No comments:

Post a Comment