Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2012

Frankenstein's Hoodie

I’m not terribly talented at the traditional girl stuff.

Specifically, my sewing skills posses maximum levels of dubiosity. Final results always look a bit more like something Jackson Pollack might have thrown together or, probably more apt, the stitching bears a striking resemblance to Dr. Frankenstein’s handiwork.

Today, I attempted to put an elbow patch on my favorite deep purple, hemp hoodie. OK, it’s also my only deep purple, hemp hoodie which is why I wanted to patch versus toss. I chose an old bright pastel patterned, polyester scarf, bought and worn back in the mythical ‘70s, to use for a patch.  The colors and fabric are in a stark contrast to the near eggplant hue and rough texture of the sweatshirt. I figured this difference would be fun, interesting. And it is!

Then I started stitching the patch onto the hoodie's elbow. I used a bright teal colored thread because I thought it was different enough from all the other colors but would visually tie everything together. That and it was the only spool of thread in my sewing box.

I wish I could say that I started with neat, tiny, straight work -- that the loopy,  trippy, Edgar Allen Poe on a bender, stitching came later. You know, after I got bored with being good. Nope, I sucked right out of the starting gate.

Muti's sewing machine
My excuse for this, and I’m gonna stick with it too (!), is that I haven’t patched anything in eons. I’m out of practice. Really though, I was never good at this stuff. I’ve no patience for it.

I can throw plates (clay. on a potter’s wheel. thank you.) until the cats come home -- something which I would have thought required, for me anyway, reaching a whole other level of consciousness. Like I’d have to be unconscious to be so calm, controlled and focused. Or possibly dead. I bet I might be calm then.

I can throw but I can’t sew worth a damn. I don’t get it.

My father’s mother and my beloved Aunt Mary Ann used to do beautiful needle work. I still have some of the throws they created. My mother used to sew a lot of her own clothes. She even designed and stitched all my Barbie doll dresses. And, her mother was a professional seamstress.

It seems that some things just aren’t built into the DNA. I think I’ll go wedge some clay now.

No comments:

Post a Comment