Search This Blog

Thursday, February 28, 2013

New Mugs!

Yippee, yea and hooray, my new mugs arrived! While I was poking around on line, looking for something entirely different of course (socks, I imagine. Always hunting socks), I discovered A Fine Mess Pottery. Lori Keenan Watts is the potter and she is just 99 and a half shades of fabulous.

Check these out. I’m just wild about the flashing*, the sweet curl at the foot and the lovely, loose, baroque-ish flourish at the base of the handle. And then, THEN, there’s the buxom, almost zaftig, proportions (if these mugs were live, they’d never go wanting for a Saturday night date), the embossed Persian-ish designs and the size (not too small and not too large -- they’re just right).

A Fine Mess Pottery is located in Augusta, Maine -- a list of galleries where you can find her work at this link. Ms. Watts ships too.

'scuse me, I gotta go pour some coffee.





*FLASHING:  Color change in fired clay or slip due to direct flame contact and residual ash deposition in wood firing, or due to variable currents of vapor deposition in salt and soda firing.  Flashing can occur on almost any light-colored clay body, but is most dramatic on porcelain bodies and slips.
Definition from The Appalachian Center for Craft, Tennessee Technical University.

No comments:

Post a Comment