Search This Blog

Friday, February 22, 2013

Scribble and Grouse

I met Jen after work last night for a post grind adult bev. First thing she says to me is:
‘Want to know what my new pet peeve is?’

Of course I want to know!

“People who use the word ‘perfect’ as a response to absolutely everything. It’s a good word but it’s not appropriate or accurate to use for all your acknowledgement needs. The word’s just not that flexible.”

An example of misuse:
In response to:
Sales Drone A: 'I emailed that client with the layout questions you had.'
Design Drone B: 'Perfect!'

Why this over the top rejoinder? Howz about replying with ‘thank you’ or ‘K, let me know when they write back with the answers' or 'awesome!'

An example of correct use:

In reply to:
Me: ‘I know you had a rough day in the pixel mines so I just ordered you a Brazilian Monk.
Jen: ‘Perfect!’

Brazilian Monk
Recipe for 1 serving
1 oz hazelnut liqueur
1 oz coffee liqueur
1 oz dark creme de cacao
1/2 oz dry sherry
4 tbsp vanilla bean ice cream

Pour into a collins glass (OK, that's a martini glass in the doodle....please, they're more fun to draw!) and blend briefly. Garnish with a mint leaf and cherry, and sprinkle with grated chocolate.
Why ‘perfect?’ My theory is that it’s the biz buzzword du jour. Some eager shop beaver heard the boss use it and, like a nasty case of herpes, it spread.

I know I use certain words hyperbolically and far too much -- to death and back even. Words like awesome, cool, and fuck (a verbal comma for me or so it seems) have the distinct whiff of corpse flower about them now so I should really retire them from my vocabulary.

Like...really.


No comments:

Post a Comment