Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

New Beauty!



Each morning I troll the internet, looking for new (or not previously seen by me that is) paintings,  sculpture, pottery, photographs, street art and installations. What better way to start the day than with wonder and beauty. I post pics of what I've been goggling over on my Facebook page. Why? It's nice to share.

This morning’s featured artist was Ákos Major, an Hungarian photographer now living in Vienna (one of  my all time fav art cities) with an ethereal, mystical (to me anyway), bend. I want to go live inside his visions, his vistas. I expect Grindylows, mermaids and water sprites to appear in the next moment.

Saturday’s artist was El Mac (AKA Miles MacGregor) an L.A. muralist whose beautifully brill work can be seen in Mexico, Denmark, Ireland, Vietnam, Cuba (to name just a few places) and across the US. 

Awhile back I uploaded images of the sculptor/potter Shadow May’s work. His creations talk to me on some deep-ass molecular level. The organic forms, the textures and carving, the raw enigmatic quality just slay me.

I am now the wickedly happy owner of a Shadow May mug. It arrived yesterday and I’m just mesmerized by it. This is functional sculpture. My favorite kind.

The description from his Etsy page:
This is a large stoneware mug that is fired to Cone 6 in an oxidation environment. It has been thrown on the wheel, then removed to carve out the foot. It is dipped into a matte finish charcoal black glaze. Soft Glass is applied to the square accent on the face of the mug and during firing forms a large drip that wraps the surface. The mug is stilted on seashells for texture and side fired in an electric kiln to cone 6. Each mug is one of a kind and has it's own unique details.
I’ll probably have my coffee in this within a few days. For now, I just want to hold it, turn it over in my hands, look at it in different lights/at different angles, admire the angles and colors. You know, drink deep the gathering caffeine and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment