Search This Blog

Friday, August 30, 2013

Comic Mission

My brain’s shooting on exactly negative 12 cylinders today. I think it’s a combo of unexpected but totally welcome time off and sinus bullshit that would bring down the Silver Surfer. The boss is taking a surprise, much deserved, vaca so this means I’m, more or less, off too. YEA!

I believe the best thing for me to do today is hit the comic book store. Of course and DUH. I’ve not yet been to the one here in Quincy. What’s up with that -- I’ve lived here for 11 years now. Well, I’m in Boston and Cambridge so much that I just end up hitting my usual haunts -- Million Year Picnic, an awesomely stocked, claustrophobic fit inducing sort of joint, in Harvard Square and the molto friendly Comicopia in Kenmore Square.

One of my comic store missions is to find some cool new female super heros. Growing up, I was ALL about Wonder Woman. She was MOST awesome. Super Girl was pretty pallid in comparison -- blonde too. Like any kid, I wanted super heroes who looked more like me. Cat Girl was cool but she was still all villainy then.

Also too, only Wonder Woman was allowed to be an adult? The rest had to be girls?

A whole new wave of female super heroes are around now. I wonder how much of this was birthed by Joss Whedon’s Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

From some interview somewhere:
Q: So, why do you write these strong female characters?
Whedon: Because you’re still asking me that question."
 
Tell it Joss!

These are some of the heroes that I'm hoping like hell to find today:

Ms. Marvel
Vixen
Manhunter
Colleen Wing and Misty Knight
Cassie Hack
Zatanna Zatara

A few are members of the Justice League but each one is somethin’ tremendous+ all on their own.

And yes, yes, yezzzzz, they’re all utterly babealicious and scantily clad. Of course they are, this is comic book fantasy-land! You never hear anyone kvetching about how buff and studly Batman and Superman are or how clingy their costumes are? Nope, of course not.

And where are the big budget movies? Sure, sure, Wonder Woman had a TV series in the ‘70s and, cheesy as it was, I loved it. Why not more? NOW!

At Newsarama, Alan Kistler makes some grand suggestions. Go read, go read!

From his keyboard to the Money Folks’wallets.

Oh please, oh please, oh please!

No comments:

Post a Comment