Search This Blog

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Donna in Wonderland

The other night I had a dream that Jen, Oni, The Amazing Bob and I were all moving to Los Angeles. No clue as to why. I’ve never, ever even been to LA. Plus, why in Kali’s name would we leave Valhalla?!

Clearly I'd taken a bad step through the looking glass.

Jen and I flew out there to look for an apartment. We snatched a cab at LAX. As usual, when I’m in a new city, I’m gaping and gawking -- I’m rubbernecking like the country mouse off the farm for the very first time.

This LA of my dream was vast, sprawling, bigger than Berlin or London. The architecture was all 1960s /70s vintage and not in a good way, set on these steep, rolling hills.

The colors and angles were jarring and garish -- Vegas meets La Paz, Bolivia.

Nothing at all looked familiar. Of course not -- I’d never been there before. I’m not used to feeling so at sea, so lost. Plus, I kept puzzling, a bit frantically, over why we were moving there.

Turns out my pals Tim and Michael had just moved down from San Francisco to open a big cooperative studio. There was puppet making, costume creation, sculpting, painting and  theatrical performances. Pretty damned cool.

I started feeling somewhat less freaked about the big move.

Fast forward to last night’s dream. I was back home in Massachusetts, going out for a last hurrah with pals before the westward transfer. Yes, this confusing and slightly scary
phantasm came back with a second chapter.

My friends and I all met at The Pru so that we could head up to Top of the Hub for farewell drinks. Long time, very tall friend Tom was there, as was his ex-girlfriend Claire -- a gorgeous, warm and equally statuesque pal 'o' mine too. I was feeling intimidated -- way shorter than my 5'4". More like 5"4". Tom and Claire were bantering in their usual fun, charming yet slightly acidic manner when, somehow, the mood shifted. Now they were arguing.

Between their harsh words and altitudinous presence I had to dash off toward the elevators saying ‘Hey, time to head upstairs,’ hoping to break the tension.

Throughout this second episode I kept thinking and asking ‘Am I really moving to LA? WHY am I moving there? No, seriously and WTF...LA?’

There was a crowd waiting to go up, up, UP when the single lift arrived. It was bright and shiny and the size of a tiny closet. I just stood there staring at it in horror, YES horror, knowing that I’d rather climb the 50 flights to the restaurant than get on that sucker.

Then, thankfully, I woke. And I’m not relocating. Well, possibly to the beach once the rain clears off but that’s it!

No comments:

Post a Comment