Search This Blog

Saturday, September 14, 2013

Premature Precipitation Fuss

Woke up at two AM in a full on frenzy about our porch semi-ferals. How, HOW will I set up the porch so that they all have safe warm enclosures during the stormy, snowy winter months?!

Yes, I’m trying to beat the big Christmas rush on worry. In an attempt to chill my freak out, I Googled up some extended forecasts.

Transworld Snowboarding had this to say:
‘So, what’s in store for this winter? The “Days of Shivery” are back! 
For 2013–2014, we are forecasting a winter that will experience below average temperatures for about two-thirds of the nation. ...................................................
With a combination of below-normal temperatures and above-normal precipitation the stage will be set for the Midwest, Great Lakes, and Central and Northern New England to receive lots of snow.’
And this from The Old Farmer's Almanac:

Annual Weather Summary: November 2013 to October 2014

Winter will be colder and drier than normal, although snowfall will be above normal in most of the region. The coldest periods will be in early and mid-December and in early to mid-February. The snowiest periods will be in early and mid-December, and in early and mid-February.
Now, who knows? The Almanac isn’t always dead on with their predictions.

From The Boston Globe quoting Accuweather.com:
Despite last winter’s mild weather and meager snowfall, this year’s winter is expected to be the kind New Englanders know and love, with snow amounts above normal in some areas and lower temperatures, according to a winter forecast from AccuWeather.com.
When Helen first arrived in her new home of Hoosick Falls (just last month!) she heard from a lot of locals that ‘we don’t get snow like we used to up here but this year we’ll get a lot. It’ll be a hard winter,’ and other sentiments to that effect. I figured and said to her ‘Ah, they’re just yankin’ the Texan’s chain -- havin’ ya on.’

Maybe not.

I want to be sure that Rocco, Gaston and Gus have cozy shelter. Yes, yes I DO honestly know that they’ve all gotten through rough winters in the past but....but....if I could take them all inside, I would. Not that they’d necessarily want that. Our B.O.P. was mad for snowy, blowy, blizzardy weather -- the nastier the better. We’re talking Jack London material here.

I will come up with a scheme to keep them as warm and dry as they’ll allow -- I just don’t need to do it two o’clock in the morning.

Meanwhile, I can do something to insure that my beautiful Helen and family stay warm in their first Northern winter. We’re gonna head up to Freeport Maine and have a little shopping spree at L.L. Bean. I see two layer Union Suits in Madison and Julianna's future and Silk Pointelle pants and top for Helen. At least.

And today’s supposed to be sunny and 70. I totally don’t need to start fussing and fretting -- not just yet anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment