Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Hazy Shade of Winter

Gaston threatening to go full metal opera on Gus
Former Feral King, now Schmooze Monster Rocco
Temps have plummeted into the low 20s (Fahrenheit) at night, rising only into the 30s during the day.

You know what this means, don’t you? Despite living in the north all my life, in spite of actually -- astoundingly for me -- enjoying (Yes. Enjoying. Stop laughing, it’s true) winter camping, I am cold and damn cranky about that too.

Some of this is because I’m a relentless worrier. We have three semi-feral kitties (OK, not so feral anymore really -- catnip and Fancy Feast seems to work a treat at taming, almost taming, cats) and I fret about them.

Of course.

Hell, I’m anxious about them in fine, toasty and clear 70° weather. Yesterday we had snow. SNOW! It’s not even Thanksgiving yet.

Michal, The Balm of Idaho, sent me this cool little DIY Winter Cat House illustration (at right). I believe I’m going to have to get on this in short order.

Our quietly imperious Queen Coco
Currently Gaston hunkers down on the bottom shelf of my wedging table -- yes, I’ve put pillows there and sealed off the back so the rain doesn’t get in. Rocco has one of those cat caves -- it sits on a rug scrap and is covered by an old raincoat to cut down wind and keep it dry. Nothing yet for Gus. I’m hoping we can find a home for him -- he’s the likeliest candidate for indoor-hood.

When I come back inside, after feeding and cosseting Rocco, I leave the door open a beat or six longer than necessary, in hopes he’ll dash in. Not yet. Of course, this would upset our Coco who becomes very insecure and très unhappy when she has to share. The Amazing Bob’s not keen on having another indoor feline overlord either.

Hey, I’m just thinking about heating costs, ya know! Cats are warm. More cats mean more warmth. See, it’s just plain logical and shit!

Jen has three cats (Thelma, Rosie and Skitter) -- they all sleep on top of her on cold nights. Between the beasts and husband Oni, well, ain’t no way our skinny girl’s ever gonna get a chill.

Yes, my name is Donna and I'm a catoholic.
Here Comes the Sun -- George Harrison, performing with Paul Simon

No comments:

Post a Comment