Search This Blog

Saturday, March 8, 2014

Fish and Grands

Helen and family are in town for a couple of days. My grandnieces school, Saint Mary’s, had a field trip to the Aquarium yesterday. I met them at the tail end, after they’d seen the dolphins, patted the sharks (according to Julianna. Hmmmm. Reality or great imagination?) and ooed and ahed over the funny yet regal penguins. Forgoing the T, we hiked over to the hotel where the girls would be going for a swim at the pool.

Madison, Julianna, Helen and John, the girls' friend Abby, her parents and I paraded through late Friday Boston traffic. I dashed across intersections, with Julianna’s hand clasped in a death grip, scaring the crapoli out of her parents. Mind you, I looked both ways and there weren’t any cars...well, none real close anyway.

I attempted caution and restraint afterward. Truly I did!

Did you know? A one mile walk with children, with a group, takes FAR longer and is more tiring than doing that same walk on your own or with one other person. There’s so much fascinating stuff to see and so much pedestrian traffic. Yes, yes, I felt sort of like I was in that scene from the Matrix.

We made it, in one piece per person even. Yea!

After they had their swim, Jen picked me and my grands up. Yup, Helen and John got a date night and The Amazing Bob and I got the kiddles. You know, it’s been a very long time since we’ve had young ones around. Leastways, none that aren’t of the feline persuasion.

I’m just hoping I haven't fucked up too badly.

We had fish and mashed potatoes for dinner with cupcakes for dessert. Then it was time to change into jammies and chill. I combed Julianna’s hair (Madison had her's under control), reminded them to brush their teeth (and supervised the task's execution) and then, then TAB and I fell into bed.

Should I have given them a bath? Should there have been broccoli at dinner? Should we have played a game of Chutes and Ladder? (I don’t have it, by the by) A round of Jacks? (these, I have)

Eh, there will be other times. I’ll get notes from Helen for next time. Really!

Meantime, there's hot chocolate and blueberry pancakes for brekkie. They will, if nothing else, be well fed.
Elephants and grandchildren never forget.
-- Andy Rooney

Never have children, only grandchildren
-- Gore Vidal

The question is, are we happy to suppose that our grandchildren may never be able to see an elephant except in a picture book?

If my grandchildren were to look at me and say, 'You were aware species were disappearing and you did nothing, you said nothing', that I think is culpable. I don't know how much more they expect me to be doing, I'd better ask them.
-- David Attenborough

“Keeping up the appearance of having all your marbles is hard work, but important.”
-- Sara Gruen, Water for Elephants

“And meanwhile time goes about its immemorial work of making everyone look and feel like shit.”
-- Martin Amis, London Fields

“Spring passes and one remembers one's innocence.
Summer passes and one remembers one's exuberance.
Autumn passes and one remembers one's reverence.
Winter passes and one remembers one's perseverance.”
-- Yoko Ono

No comments:

Post a Comment