Search This Blog

Friday, March 7, 2014

The Friday Cat Report

They grow up so fast! Yep, talkin’ about kittens. Specifically this one.

At right is Ellie, my boss’ new mouser supreme, back in December.

This, at left, was Ellie last week with Jen, my fellow Cat Doormat Lodge member.

I’d heard that orange tabbies are always male  (no, as it happens, not always) and figured that either Ellie was an exception (we thought she was a she) or, because she’s so very pale, creamsicle-esque even, this meant she wasn’t a true orange tabby.

Turns out she’s a he. And he’s getting huge. Reaching monster cat proportions.

When I’m working in the office versus home, he likes to sit atop my computer tower and stare down at me. I know what he’s thinking, ‘why aren’t you playing with me? Throw something NOW so I can chase after it.’ This is generally followed by him batting my eye drops and/or reading glasses onto the floor and then into some far corner under a desk or cabinet.

Of course.

What can I do? I have to retrieve my crap and toss him one of his toys.

He also likes to scale my chair like Tenzing Norgay ascending a particularly challenging section of Everest's North Ridge. The goal, it seems, is my shoulder where he perches like a quasi tame parrot.

Amazingly, despite all his antics, we manage to get work done.

At right is Rocco in his new 'heated' cat cave. I've thrown an old fleece lined hoodie over top to keep in more of the meager heat. He seems content if cranky that spring is taking its lazy ass time about arriving but then, that's how all of us feel.

When he takes the occasional swat at me (patting him too much at just the wrong time or angle?) I feel like I've got a teenager. 'Aw Mom, canya not give me some space?!'

Coco is also very much looking forward to spring when she can sit on the porch with me and get carried on tours of the garden. She isn't allowed off on her own when outside since she's such a flight risk. I'm sure, all the same, she'll find a way to fly, to lead The Amazing Bob and I on chase and hunt expeditions through our neighbors' yards.

Rotten cats!

No comments:

Post a Comment