Search This Blog

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Suddenly This Rain

Spring rain
leaking through the roof
dripping from the wasps' nest
Matsuo Basho

The rain to the wind said,
You push and I'll pelt.'
They so smote the garden bed
That the flowers actually knelt,
And lay lodged--though not dead.
I know how the flowers felt.
Robert Frost

I went to bed and woke in the middle of the night thinking I heard someone cry, thinking I myself was weeping, and I felt my face and it was dry.

Then I looked at the window and thought: Why, yes, it's just the rain, the rain, always the rain, and turned over, sadder still, and fumbled about for my dripping sleep and tried to slip it back on.
Green Shadows, White Whale, Ray Bradbury

Long as I remember the rain been comin' down
Clouds of mystery pourin' confusion on the ground.
Good men through the ages tryin' to find the sun.
And I wonder still I wonder who'll stop the rain.
Who’ll Stop the Rain, Creedence Clearwater Revival

Suddenly this defeat.
This rain.
The blues gone gray
And the browns gone gray
And yellow
A terrible amber.
In the cold streets
Your warm body.
In whatever room
Your warm body.
Among all the people
Your absence
The people who are always
Not you.

I have been easy with trees
Too long.
Too familiar with mountains.
Joy has been a habit.
Now
Suddenly
This rain.
Jack Gilbert

Here comes the rain again
Falling on my head like a memory
Falling on my head like a new emotion
I want to walk in the open wind
I want to talk like lovers do
I want to dive into your ocean
Is it raining with you
Here Comes the Rain Again, Eurythmics
“Some people walk in the rain, others just get wet.”
Roger Miller
If the rain comes they run and hide their heads
They might as well be dead
If the rain comes, if the rain comes
Rain, The Beatles

The richness of the rain made me feel safe and protected; I have always considered the rain to be healing—a blanket—the comfort of a friend. Without at least some rain in any given day, or at least a cloud or two on the horizon, I feel overwhelmed by the information of sunlight and yearn for the vital, muffling gift of falling water.
Douglas Coupland, Life After God

red rain is coming down
red rain
red rain is pouring down
pouring down all over me
Red Rain, Peter Gabriel

Poor Sodden Gaston
Humidity's rising, barometer's gettin' low
According to all sources the street's the place to go
Tonight for the first time just about half past ten
For the first time in history it's gonna start raining men
It's Raining Men, Weather Girls
“Can't you see that it's just raining?
There ain't no need to go outside.”

Jack Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment