Search This Blog

Saturday, May 17, 2014

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of commerce

OK, I’m ALL creeped out by the Google Ads thing.

This morning while having my brekkie of brown rice cakes and veggie sausage, minding my own biz, playing Words with Friends, an ad pops up for Lundberg Rice Cakes. Specifically the Tamari with Seaweed variety. I was just that very moment consuming the last of mine, thinking “I’ll have to brave the rain and go pick up more” when this squib (at left) pinged onto the periphery of my screen.

I purchase them at the local, independently owned and run, hippie-groovy grocery emporium and have never, ever shopped online for 'em.

I stand in front of Good Health's bountiful rice cake display, like a sorority sister in front of a DeScenza Diamonds engagement ring case, wondering — will I bring home the Flax with Tamari or the Hemp-a-Licious. Maybe the Koku Seaweed or perhaps the Sesame Tamari or will I just go with my old fav Tamari WITH Seaweed. My choices are enrapturing.

Given my up-close-and-personal shopping, I don't understand how Lundberg's dogs of commerce discovered me and at that scarily precise I-need-more moment too.

Coffee mug du jour by Holly Sears
Coincidence? Possibly but maybe I’m being observed. There could be a wee Matrix-esque camera installed in my monitor and it’s watching me, tracking my every move, always with the fish eye out for the next marketing opportunity.

It sees when I toss one of those awesome yet vile, vaguely chemical tasting, dark chocolate mint M&Ms in my yap. It gapes at me while I quaff my very dry Sapphire martini with jalapeño stuffed olive, tippy tapping away on the keyboard. It knows that I suck down french roast cut with vanilla flavored Fair Trade coffee, swirling in mugs which have been hand crafted by friends.

//shudder//

Or is it a fluke?

//shrugs//

Gotta go shower and suit up now. The sky's clearing, maybe I'll ride my trike up to Rice Cake Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment