Search This Blog

Monday, July 7, 2014

Teach

One of the great things to pretend is that you're not only alright, you're in great shape. Now to have that come true - I've actually gone on stage depressed and that's worked its magic on me, 'cause if I can convince you that I'm alright, then maybe I can convince me.
~ Carrie Fisher

Back when I was the training director at a large-ish, local print shop, back in my hearing days, I had similar experiences. I couldn’t cancel a days’ class simply because I was feeling lower than a conger eel slumming in the Mariana Trench. Neither could I get in front of the class with an  Eeyore on 'ludes 'tude.

What to do? What to do?

Pretend. Like Roy Scheider in All That Jazz  (sans the dexies  thenkyew very much), I’d pull myself up to my full five feet, five inches, straighten my skirt and charge into the classroom. I’d give everyone a big ol’ howdy and start quizzing them:

Which store/location do you work at?
How long you been with the company?
Where’d ya work before?
Which part of town you live — do ya like it there?

and then:

Today, mon ami, we’re gonna learn ALL about the wonderful world of paper!

My high speed energy was, possibly, obnoxious as all hell — especially at nine AM on a Monday — BUT it beat all hell out of having some sad Dismal Donna standing there saying OK class, for the next eight hours you will learn how to buy and price out various substrates using lots of long algebraic equations.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
It's extraordinarily hard to grasp complex info when the teach is rockin’ a solid monotone and has the presence of a killer fog bank.

Class size was small (rarely more than ten) which was awesome+ for how I liked to run a course. There’d always be tons of Q&A — that is, I’d ask the students to think, to imagine what might come next and tell me. If they could reason things out, find the right paths for themselves (with clues and a bit of nudging from me) they’d retain the info a hell of a lot longer than if I just stood in front of them lecturing. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

So, the students learned and enjoyed the experience as much as they could. Me? Presenting a seminar, a session was a blast and a half and ALWAYS pulled me out of whatever sad hole I was in. Always.

Best job EVAH!

Why/how did it go bye bye?

Eh, the company where I worked hit an iceberg, was bought and heavily downsized. The training department was eliminated (I was retained but in secretarial and then prepress roles) and then my hearing went down in flames.

I know that I could still teach, even though I’m deaf now. My lipreading is pretty solid AND there are ways around communication hurdles. White boards, just fer example.

Sadly though, the print industry is a significantly smaller place than it was ten years ago.  There’s not much, if any, call for a Red Hot Print Empress (the title I totes should have had) instructor type anymore.

Hmmm, maybe it’s time to begin exploring other options. Teaching art to deaf kids maybe?

7 comments:

  1. Totally should go this Donna! I will be happy to give you a letter of reference!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who teaches middle schoolers at the Horace Mann School in Allston - and mebbe the folks at D.E.A.F.Inc., also in Union Square, could point you in a useful direction?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I'd love to meet and chat with them! Can you hook me up?

      Delete
    2. Just to clarify, I don't know any of the folks at D.E.A.F. Inc, I just know that they're there in Allston. It looks like it's easiest to get in touch with them via their FB page.

      I've reached out to Katy to ask if she minds me introducing the two of you. I've known her for a LONG time as a morris dancer and general folkie, and she also has been one of the two ASL interpreters at the Christmas Revels for many many years.

      Delete
    3. Awesome and MOLTO grazie!

      Delete
  3. Donna, you and I seemed to have inherited the teaching genes :) I loved supervising and training student interns when I was in Texas. Yes, definitely follow up on that idea ... Also, I want to confirm that the whole "act as if ... " and move it -- the feelings will follow ( instead of vice versa ) works for me :) ok, I'll give myself 20 more minutes in the air conditioning before going to my home office to get busy.

    ReplyDelete