Search This Blog

Monday, December 15, 2014

Fast Trip

It feels as though it’s always overcast and rainy in my father’s little Western Pennsylvania burg.

Always.

But it’s not. Maybe.

This trip to see Daddy was shorter than most. Too short.  Without my usual helper elves along to 'terp (Jen or Helen), me and my sparkling deafness were flying solo. This is totes no biggy except for group social situations where I struggle mightily to stay afloat. "Group" is defined as more than one person besides myself.

Pittsburgh Airport Dino
Michal and Helen’s awesome husband John were there to help. They wrote bits down that I couldn’t lip read. Also too, Pop remembers far more sign and fingerspelling than I’d expected. Still, communication was tiring for us both. After just a few hours, I was ready for a nap and I’m not a napper!

Later, John, who was on his way south for a gig, drove me to the Hyatt at the Pittsburgh airport. I normally wouldn’t spend the bucks on such a scorchingly expensive flop joint but my morning flight was wickedly early and besides, getting a cab from a relatively cheap, nearby fleabag would’ve eaten away most if not all of what I would’ve saved on the room.

Lemme just tell you, staying at the Hyatt was a fabulous decision! Afraid that I wouldn’t wake in time for my flight (I had to be at airport check in at 6 AM) I asked the lovely front desk folk for help. At first, forgetting that I’m deaf, the nice lady suggested a wake up call.

That’d work a treat except I won’t hear the phone’s ring and I wouldn’t hear a simple knock on the door either
The Hyatt hotel art was unexpectedly fab!

 OH! Oops. She then proposed a knock and enter.

YES! Someone to just come in and nudge me awake. That’d work. We agreed that if I’d not checked out by 6, someone would come to rouse me. Okey dokey. Chill Time at the hotel’s pub was next up on my agenda. By the by, I had the Vanilla Flower (Absolut Hibiscus, St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur, pear and vanilla bean simple syrup) and it was exactly what I needed.

When I got to my wonderful room, high on the 11th floor, I realized that having a stranger come in for even the gentlest of reveilles would freak me clean into the next century. I don’t sleep easy in new digs. Knowing that a wonderful, professional, here-to-please Hyatt helper who I’d never met before, a STRANGER, would wake me if I overslept ensured that I emerged from Dreamland once an hour, every hour, through the night.

So yeah, I didn’t oversleep.

What'd I learn from this journey sans accompaniment?
  • I CAN do it! My independent travel days are NOT done now that I'm deaf.
  • I like having Jen and/or Helen with me and not just for their marvy-do 'terp chops either. They are big time, spectacular, tremendous fun and comfy too.
It's good to have choices. Duh-huh.

No comments:

Post a Comment