Search This Blog

Sunday, January 18, 2015

The Storm Before the Calm

"We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie.”
~David Mamet, Boston Marriage
Or cake. The Amazing Bob and I are especially fond of cake,
“I was a little excited but mostly blorft. “Blorft” is an adjective I just made up that means ‘Completely overwhelmed but proceeding as if everything is fine and reacting to the stress with the torpor of a possum.’ I have been blorft every day for the past seven years.”
~Tina Fey, Bossypants
Me? I’m diskrantenalagus with a side of moofledom.
“If the problem can be solved why worry? If the problem cannot be solved worrying will do you no good.”
~Śāntideva
Yeah sure, man. WAY easier said than done.
“Reality is the leading cause of stress amongst those in touch with it.”
~Jane Wagner
Hello Mister Auger? Can I get a ticket out of Realityville? Could you score me a lift on the Oblivion Express?
“Come back!” the Caterpillar called after her. “I’ve something important to say.”
This sounded promising, certainly. Alice turned and came back again.
“Keep your temper,” said the Caterpillar.”
~Lewis Carroll, Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass
Easy to do when you've got that dandy, mondo hookah burbling away, eh?
“Stress level: extreme. It’s like she was a jar with the lid screwed on too tight, and inside the jar were pickles, angry pickles, and they were fermenting, and about to explode.”
~Fiona Wood, Six Impossible Things
Hi, nice ta meet'cha—I'm an angry pickle.
“Here’s a quick rule of thumb: Don’t annoy science fiction writers. These are people who destroy entire planets before lunch. Think of what they’ll do to you.”
~John Scalzi
Will destroying a planet before lunch relieve my stratospheric stress levels? Hmmm, perhaps. Must put this idea aside for now. I’ll get back to it.
“I failed angst in high school. They let me graduate anyway.”
~John Scalzi, Your Hate Mail Will Be Graded
Heh, me too!
Hey, I’ve got nothing to do today but smile
Da-n-do-da-n-do-da-n-do here I am
The only living boy in New York
~Paul Simon, The Only Living Boy In New York
We are in the storm before the calm.

No comments:

Post a Comment