Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

In Like a Lion

Out like a lamb. On this last damn day of March, it’ll be a breezy and in the mid 40s. YEA! Beats the hell out of yesterday’s 35º biting gusts with snow flurries. March is going out not so much like a lamb as a seriously grumpy badger.

There's still snow on the ground here but, relatively speaking, it's a total piffle.

April’s all too patiently waiting at the door. She’s not even bothered to knock, so sure is she that I’ll open the door, welcoming her in with tears, a giant hug and a celebratory nip of limoncello.

The deep roots never doubt spring will come.” 
~Marty Rubin 

“I glanced out the window at the signs of spring. The sky was almost blue, the trees were almost budding, the sun was almost bright.” 
~Millard Kaufman, Bowl of Cherries 

And Spring arose on the garden fair,
Like the Spirit of Love felt everywhere;
And each flower and herb on Earth’s dark breast
rose from the dreams of its wintry rest.
~Percy Bysshe Shelley, The Sensitive Plant 


On the other side of the country is my friend Jenny in Arizona where spring seems to be taking a pass. 94º yesterday and the same today. Here in New England we won't hit that until the height summer and I’ll feel as though I’m gonna die if I can’t get into the ocean now, NOW, NOW! 

The Nation posits that Phoenix will soon be uninhabitable. I wouldn’t be at all surprised. Remember Senator Snowball, that waste of sentience? Perhaps he should take note of what's actually happening in his own damn state as well as those nearby.

Happily, Jenny’s moving east. I know she’ll miss her home terribly and the snowy winters will be a grievously rough readjustment but HEY we have spring!

People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
~Rogers Hornsby

No comments:

Post a Comment