Search This Blog

Monday, November 23, 2015

A Misconception

Zen Master Rocco
Coco, best guard cat EVAH
Cats are NOT aloof and distant. OK, ours aren’t.

When The Amazing Bob descends the staircase in the morning, Coco rushes to greet him, positively vibrating with happiness. She’s thrilled down to the atomic level to see him.

When it’s just Coco and I downstairs alone, she zooms from one end of the floor to the other. OK, this is a very small house so that doesn’t take long. What’s she after? Coco wants me to chase her. She’s got hide and seek down cold. That and, woe betide any pen or pencil that falls under her gaze—she’ll cut a bitch.

Our princess sits at the front door when she wants me to take her out on the porch or for a walk around the house. She likes to check out the scene. Then, when we come inside, she makes a beeline for TAB’s lap.

When I go back upstairs? Rocco, having heard me climb the stairs, meets me at the bedroom door. When I enter he runs back and forth and around my feet. He’s practically jumping up and down. And this, THIS, is a 13+ year old boy who lived rough, outdoors, until a little over a year ago.

Our boy’s not into games. Nope. He likes sitting in the window, watching the world zoom by. BUT, if I’m in bed reading, boyhowdy, he’s right at my side. All I need's a pipe, smoking jacket and rocker to complete the perfect (purrfect? sorry) domestic scene.

When I wake in the middle of the night, Rocco’s instantly by my side. You OK? Bad dream? Take some deep breaths and pat me a little—you know how meditative, how relaxing that is.

After a rousing game of hide & seek, Coco retires to TAB's lap
So then, you can’t tell me that cats are arrogantly remote or uncaring.
Authors like cats because they are such quiet, lovable, wise creatures, and cats like authors for the same reasons.
~Robertson Davies

The only escape from the miseries of life are music and cats...
~Albert Schweitzer

“I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.”
~Terry Pratchett, Sourcery 

I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.
~Hippolyte Taine

When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction.
~Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment