Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Watching the River

At the same time that I LOVE where I live, I miss living in Cambridge. Yup, I mentioned that already. I know. Here’s the thing I find interesting though – whenever I’m back in the city, I find myself down at the river, the Charles. Water seems to call to me.

Hmmm. Perhaps, instead of being the female version of the Silver Surfer – //snort// yes, in my dreams – I’m actually Mera.
Mera has the unique ability to form "hard water" objects, as well as super strength and powers related to her adaptation to live under water. She has been shown to be powerful enough to control, albeit briefly, huge amounts of water, enough to pull an entire army out to sea. Due to her intended role as an infiltrator and a killer, Mera received extensive training in Xebel, becoming a formidable opponent on her own. (source)
She’s also telepathic and married to Aquaman. I’m guessing they do the underwater dynamic duo bit.

Meanwhile, back at home, when I scrambled down to the water’s edge to capture this morning's sunrise, I nearly collided with a passing jogger. She seemed a bit stunned. Afraid maybe? Normally, when neighbors pass by around here we wave and smile – OK not always but it’s def the uzh. Possibly my determined dash to the seawall in jolly roger themed jammies and fresh-outta-bed hair is a bit offputting at 5AM. Could be!
 ~~~~~
Now that summer’s on us, I’m changing over my wardrobe (such as it is) to suit. I saw a lovely pair of lightweight cotton hippy-dippy pants while perusing the Sundance catalogue and thought YES, must have. And then experience hit me up side the head.

Three things one must NEVER buy online (if you’re me anyway...and I am):
An aside on the sneaker front – in an outraged letter to the editor entitled Buying American is not un-American when it comes to running shoes, Bruce A. Percelay writes that:
In the May 27 editorial “Scrap special ‘running shoe’ earmark,” the Globe characterized the provision in the National Defense Authorization Act that gives preference to American suppliers of athletic footwear as tantamount to corporate welfare. The proposed legislation would be a boon to local sneaker manufacturer New Balance, which otherwise would have been cut out of the procurement process for providing shoes to the military.
~~snip~~
 The likelihood that a shoe made in China or another part of the world is better suited for a member of the armed services is remote.
He goes on (and on). Obvs he’s never looked inside his New Balance to see where they’re manufactured. Hint: NOT in the US.
 ~~~~~
Finally, on some days – most actually – I’m convinced that Rocco is at least part dog. A significant part too. When I come upstairs, he greets me at our bedroom door with his whole back end, NOT just his tail, wagging. He jumps up on the bed, practically vibrating with Pat me now, K?! Yur gonna skritch behind my ears too, right!? He’ll sit by his food bowls and look up at me with that Treats, now, yes?! look. He then ambles over to my side of the bed, jumps in and asks (rilly he does) Yur gonna sit down and read now right? And then more pats, right?!

Rocco – he doesn’t do aloof. Good boy!
What greater gift than the love of a cat.
~ Charles Dickens

Anyone who believes what a cat tells him deserves all he gets.
~ Neil Gaiman, Stardust

I have lived with several Zen masters -- all of them cats.
~ Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
Watching the River Run–Loggins and Messina

No comments:

Post a Comment