Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 5, 2016

Define Rich

Dictionary.com says it means, amongst other things:
having wealth or great possessions; abundantly supplied with resources, means, or funds; wealthy
A post at Slate was more specific:
According to the World Top Incomes Database: a household income of about $113,000 lands you at the top 10th, while $394,000 makes you a bona fide member of the 1 percent.
But rich is relative. To some degree, it's in the eye/wallet of the beholder.

I know a man whose income, combined with his wife’s, is well into Six Figure Land. They live in one of the most expensive suburbs of Boston. His children went to laudable private colleges. The family takes summer vacas, all together, in fashionable, too-expensive-for-me-even-in-low-season European cities and stay at high end hotels (versus youth hostels and B&Bs).

I know another young couple whose combined annual income is also up there in the Land of Six Figure Sugar Plums. Their kiddles are still wee so they're socking away buckos in college funds. All the same, they're able to buy new cars, clothes, regularly dine out and take pricey get-a-ways.

Both couples consider themselves middle class. From my P.O.V. they’re rich.

A guest of the Pine Street Inn might feel that I’m rolling in the clover (no, RILLY!) because I’ve got a two cat house, can take the occasional, off season, foreign holiday and my kitchen cupboard is full of wasabi peas and M&Ms.

Rich, it's relative.

Having said that, there’s no denying, by anyone anywhere, that Warren Buffet, Bill Gates and the Koch Brothers have more money than god (in one of her high yield years too). No dubiosity there at all. Nope.

But…
If you ask people who is "rich," you get different answers depending on how much money the respondents make. According to a 2013 Washington Post survey, people who live in households making less than $50,000 say that an income of $200,000 would make you rich, while people with incomes between $50,000 and $100,000 say you'd need $260,000 to be rich. And people making over $100,000 say they wouldn't feel rich unless they were making a cool half a million dollars a year -- or more. (source)
Frankly, despite needing to scrimp, save and watch every other penny, I feel like I’m doing OK. Not rich by a few dozen light years but OK. Warum? I’ve got wonderful, brilliantly supportive friends and fam. I get to live on a beautiful bay. I’m able to pay the quarterly real estate bill (on time even!) without breaking too much of a sweat. And of course, though he’s gone now, I had the MOST fabulous, perceptive, wise, understanding, affectionate, responsive, creative and handsome life partner EVAH.

Having The Amazing Bob in my life for 30 years made me the richest woman on the whole fuckin’ planet.

Yeah, you can take that to the bank.

No comments:

Post a Comment