Search This Blog

Friday, November 11, 2016

Could you...

...sleep with someone who held radically different beliefs than you? And by sleep, I mean the sexytime mambo. Of course.

Having similar values would be, seems to me, a necessary ingredient for a successful full blown relationship. Wouldn’t it? For example, I couldn’t and wouldn't have spent 30 years with someone who was OK with the government and our fellow citizens denying anyone equal rights.

But what about trysts? One night stands are different, right?

Back in my libidinous, fancy-free days, I went out with a Republican or two. There was the very nice, downright sweet, eye doctor. After the big bed event, we lapsed into pillow talk. This was during Reagan's (and his administration's) willful and horrific ignoring of AIDs.I asked my otherwise lovely sack mate how, as a doctor, he squared voting for someone so obscenely callous. How could he, as someone whose chosen profession is healing, vote for a party like that.

Nate replied that as an Orthodox Jew, he felt that homosexuality was abhorrent. He also felt that it was a self indulgent choice.

Naturally, I countered this last bit by asking him if he liked having sex with women. He clearly, lustily said yes. I asked how he would feel about having sex with a man.

Ew, ew, ew – he recoiled.
I queried, Do you feel that these preferences are hardwired into your psyche? 
Oh YES, he replied.
So, wouldn’t the drives of a gay man, a lesbian or someone who’s bisexual be every bit as innately determined as your hetero-ness?

Yeah, he had no answer and we mutually (and passively) chose not to shake the sheets together again.

What about now? Would I, could I sleep with the enemy again. Enemy. Yes, harsh way to term it but…well, someone who votes against my ability to exist, to live equally and peacefully on this planet, in this country, is just that. The president-elect and his American Taliban team, want to ban Muslims, eliminate marriage equality, take away affordable healthcare, Medicare, Social Security, remove freedom of the press, destroy safe women's reproductive health options and, of course, quash all dissent.
Milwaukee County Sheriff David Clarke, who urged Americans to pick up “pitchforks and torches” last month in response to what he called a “rigged” system, on Wednesday denounced thousands of Americans for demonstrating against the president-elect’s stunning victory over Hillary Clinton.

“These temper tantrums from these radical anarchists must be quelled. There is no legitimate reason to protest the will of the people,” Clarke said on Twitter, even though  the former secretary of state won the popular vote. (source)
So, no. If I ever find myself wanting to date again, Ima stick to my own kind. Folks who have their own faults BUT vote for candidates and a party who exhibit some fucking compassion, smarts and empathy.

No comments:

Post a Comment