Search This Blog

Monday, December 12, 2016

BOIDS!

Yesterday we met a lovely chum of Jenny’s for a trip to the Whitewater Draw Wildlife Area to spy on the more than 20,000 (!!!) sandhill cranes.
These birds spend the night standing in Whitewater Draw’s shallow waters to evade predators, and then fly out each morning to feed and socialize in the surrounding area. They return to Whitewater Draw in the afternoon and evening. (source)
Coco and Rocco would totes welcome this handsome boy, right? RIGHT!?
This was magnificent!

Other residents/visitors to the area include mule deer, javelina, coyote, bobcat, desert cottontail and black-tailed jackrabbit, Plains leopard frog, diamond-backed rattlesnakes, coachwhip, gophersnake, kingsnake, Western hog-nosed snake, Texas horned lizard and a shit-ton of other sorts of birdies.(source)

In fact, as we were leaving, J&J spotted this red tail hawk. WHAT a cutie! I think Valhalla needs him. Don't you?

According to the site you can camp here for as long as three days. It’s free but there’s no water or electric. Yeah I would LOVE to do this, to hang out and watch for all these gorgeous beasties BUT….I’ve got a persnickety peccadillo. I may have mentioned this before – Donna does NOT camp. I’m big with the citified, GOT-to-have-flush-toilet and mattress-to-sleep-on action and this knocks the overnight option right out.

Jenny would/will do it. So would Jen and Oni. Christ, I’m lame.

In any case, here – watch some boids with me.
In order to see birds it is necessary to become a part of the silence.
~ Robert Lynd

I am glad I will not be young in a future without wilderness.
~ Aldo Leopold
INcoming! 
The watching station
We three cranes of Alaska are
Bearing gifts we traverse afar.
Field and fountain, moor and wetland,
Following yonder biological imperative...
C'mon, SING it with me folks!





No comments:

Post a Comment