Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Random Bits of Fuss

Fūd

Why does the yummy cherry oat bar that I had yesterday morning not count as one of my servings of fruit for the day? C’MON, cherry’s a fruit innit?!
Also too, why, why, why does wine not sit under the fruit header? What’s wine made of? GRAPES! That’s a fruit. HONEST!

While I’m at it, let’s consider wasabi peas, K?
Unlike many processed snack foods, wasabi peas do provide fiber and protein, but they lack many additional vitamins and minerals. (source)
But peas are a veggie – they’re good for me, right?! Three to five serving a day and shit.
Wasabi peas are green peas that have been roasted and coated in a mixture of starch, sugar, salt, oil and wasabi. They may also contain artificial coloring, depending on the brand.
~~~
According to the nutrition information website Calorie King, 1 ounce, or about 1/4 cup of wasabi peas, contains 112 calories. This makes these tiny snacks very calorie-dense…(source)
Fine. Fuck you, Food Pyramid!

At least veggie tempura, while also nutritionally in the danger zone, is less calorically evil. *sigh*

This healthy eating shit is NOT intuitive AT ALL. I’m tellin’ you!

Fōn

Good news on the new tinyphone front. Though the good folk down at the Apple store were unable to fix my slick new Text Beast, they gave me a replacement! For free! I didn’t even buy the original there – Credo gave me one for agreeing to go with them for no less than two years. I must say, considering the iPhone 7 retails for $649, this seems like one hellova deal.

The Apple team said I’ll need to purchase a SIM card. Heh, DONE. When I was up at the Hunt’s Camera Show a couple months back, I picked one up (cheap!) figuring, I’d need it eventually. *BING*

So, I’ll motor back down to Appleville today and have them set up my new little beastie.

Yea! I’m just wild for happy endings.

Postcard from the Edge
This is one of my favorite books and Carrie Fisher is/was (past tense feels so wrong!) one of my fave wits. She’s right up there with Dorothy Parker who’s said:
    *  Beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone
   
*  Heterosexuality is not normal, it's just common
   
*  I don't know much about being a millionaire, but I'll bet I'd be darling at it.
 
   and
   
*  What fresh hell is this?
amongst so many other brill bon mots.

Some of Fisher’s greats (and these are just from Postcards):
Actually, I am a failed anorexic. I have anorexic thinking, but I can't seem to muster the behavoir.
The only thing worse than being hurt is everyone knowing that you're hurt.

'We live in America,' he said. 'Everyone who speaks English understands you. How they interpret you is something else.'
She wanted so to be tranquil, to be someone who took walks in the late-afternoon sun, listening to the birds and crickets and feeling the whole world breathe. Instead, she lived in her head like a madwoman locked in a tower, hearing the wind howling through her hair and waiting for someone to come and rescue her from feeling things so deeply that her bones burned. She had plenty of evidence that she had a good life. She just couldn’t feel the life she had. It was as though she had cancer of the perspective.
And the quote I may love best:
Instant gratification takes too long.
Yes, yes it do.

Christ, I think I’m gonna grab my cuppa, head back to bed and read the rest of her new book – The Princess Diarist.

No comments:

Post a Comment