Search This Blog

Saturday, February 4, 2017

Fluff

I dreamed The Amazing Bob and I had moved to into a deep dark forest on a damp, swampy tropical island within a vast archipelago. He was happy about this move and, if TAB’s happy, so am I. We had a huge porch from which we could eavesdrop on all the neighborhood birds and other assorted wild beasties. Exciting! Naturally Jen and Oni had a house right next door.

One day I went off on my own to explore, making my way from our island to the next and then the one after. All were unpopulated, ‘cept our wee cay and we were its only human residents.

When I made the beach on the third islet in the string, I saw that it was too far to swim to the next one over — a little scary too.

This little phantasm probably represents some wickedly deep current state of mind, don'cha think? I believe I'll just savor the time with TAB on this strange, beautiful, tropical paradiso. It's Saturday – I try to avoid taxing my wee brain with profundities on the weekend.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
An email exchange between me and Hillel, who I’ve not seen in weeks!
Me: do you still exist?

If so, PROVE IT!

Hillel:  Hey, it’s not like I’ve heard much from you either. I’m around, but over-busy and stressed. Would be good to visit Valhalla. Thursday?

Me: *sniff* sure, guilt trip the poor grieving widow.... (ya know, this could possibly be a big, money making, survivalist game show. Catholic vs. Jewish Guilt Trip – 2 enter the arena, only one will come out feeling good about him/herself!)

ummmm....yeah next Thursday's good.
We've been chums for 35 years now (*gulp*) and have yet to figure out who wields the more lethal guilt trip – Catholics or Jews. Frankly, I'm fairly certain that this little Italian/German ex-Catholic swings the most deadly contrition kudgel. THBBPHT!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour – Christ almighty, I loved that show and was heartbroken when it was canceled. I was just a kid when it debuted in ’67 but still, their brand of humor really hit me. I was only nine but really liked that they stepped out of line, rocked some rebellion. NO ONE on TV did that back then.
The end came on April 4, 1969, when CBS fired the brothers on grounds of breach of contract after the show had been renewed for a fourth season. The brothers denounced it as a phony excuse to bend to critics, who at that point included President Nixon. They sued and won a settlement of more than $900,000.

Toward the end, the targets of their humor had grown pricklier. The Watergate reporters Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein found that between 1969 and 1971, even after the show was off the air, Nixon campaign funds paid a private investigator to look into the brothers, among other targets.

“I thought it was kind of a badge of honor,” Tom Smothers said. (source)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Coco – she gives some killer glares when I try to snap her pic. Yeah, yeah, sure, sure, she was trying to nap and how would I like it if she went all paparazzi-like when I was attempting rack time. For that matter, Rocco’s a Glower King too.

Possibly they feel I need to get outta the house more. On that note, I'm off to the gym. The cats insist.

No comments:

Post a Comment