Search This Blog

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Time Shifts

I’ve just about had it with all this time changing horseshit. Honestly, I’m just back from Berlin which is six hours ahead of the east coast and now, NOW, I’ve got to shift times zones again without even getting the beni of travel? That’s some fucked up shit right there.
In autumn, Dr. Waters says, changing your sleep schedule isn't necessary. Fall asleep at your normal time, and your body will feel the same when you wake. Roughly two weeks before springing forward, though, go to bed and wake up 10 minutes to 15 minutes earlier daily. This helps your body slowly adjust. (source)
I tried bedding down a little early in hope of a good night’s rest — waking refreshed and not feeling I’d lost an hour. But no. Naturally, daylight saving time decided to happen on a night when I was plagued by wakey-wakeyness. I’m feeling deeply aggrieved here, dammit!

Sleep was like an old embarrassed-to-be-seen-with-me boyfriend last night. I took a steaming hot shower. Downed a tankard of lemon and homey laced hot water. I patted Coco and Rocco endlessly and then curled up with a Martin Millar book, Thraxas. So far, I do believe Makri – the sword wielding part elf, part orc, part human waitress who’s trying to earn enough bucks for college, is my fave character. After a few chapters, I snapped off the light and began the deep breathing exercises.

Great scheme, right? Sleep shoulda been easy-peasy, right? Wrong-o.

 Since I’m at the tail end of a nasty cold and have a big day ahead of me, I decided to go all Wicked Witch on my fidgety ass. No poppies but, yes, I broke out the anti-anxiety, calm-my-freaked-bean-down pills. I generally only use these for MRIs – can’t get into (and stay in) those skinny-ass tubes with out ‘em. I’m spectacularly wary of pills so the shit’s got to be seriously airborne for me to drop a tab. The only other non-MRI time when I recall taking the pills was during the first week after The Amazing Bob went all mortal coil-less. They were a good help then.

And now I’ve got a lorazapam hangover. *sigh, groan, kvetch*

Also too, it's totally bleedin' cold outside! This is mid-March – I am SOOOO damn ready for spring. Reykjavik and Berlin are down with the plan, why not us?
What hath night to do with sleep?
Sleep is God. Go worship.
Jim Butcher, Death Masks 
I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?

2 comments:

  1. I relate with this so much. I have what can only be described as a phobia of not being able to fall asleep. I believe it's because my thinking turns against itself when I'm awake at certain times.

    The Hemingway quote is great, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both mon ami. As Poppy Brite's said “The night is the hardest time to be alive and 4am knows all my secrets.”
      //shudder//

      Delete