Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Did You?

I voted yesterday. Here in Quincy, Massachusetts the elections weren't big-time sexy, cool, super bowl-esque with mayors and governors at stake. Nope. BUT this level is where things start – ward councilors, school committee. Most elected officials aren’t jumping in at the mayor, governor, senator or presidential level, don’cha know.

Elsewhere, BIGGER news:
Democrat Phil Murphy will replace that odious piece of sycophantic, corrupt waste, Chris Christie, in New Jersey.
AND Democrat Ralph Northam zoomed past Republican Ed Gillespie to win the Virginia governor race.

Also in Viginia, Danica Roem, a Democrat AND a woman who began the physical part of gender transition four years ago, won her race. She banjaxed the hopes of 13 year incumbent and vile piece of putrid vomitus, Del. Robert G. Marshall. You remember him, right? He’s the tool who was proud as fuck to be the state’s head homophobe and introduced one of those bullshit, très reactionary let’s-instill-FEAR-in-the-masses bathroom bills. Good motherfucking riddance!

Maine will become the 33rd state to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act, expanding coverage to as many as 89,000 low-income residents. (source)

Marty Walsh was re-elected as mayor of Boston. Good? He wants the entire state to take on sanctuary status (as Boston has). I agree wholeheartedly of course. We need a governor without an R after his name to accomplish that though. 2018 isn't very far away. I like Setti Warren and Bob Massie a LOT. I know nothing about Jay Gonzalez but there's time to learn.

Here in my little town, most of the folks I cast my ballot for made it – two didn’t. I’d be more bummed BUT I really didn’t and don’t know much about any of 'em running for city councilor and school committee (apart from the fact that they’re all Dems – this IS Massachusetts after all). Yes, I feel guilty that I didn’t do more candidate research. Jen knows and vouched for the two who didn’t make it. They live here on the Neck – neighbors. Would they be better than the folks who won? //shrugs// I will now read and learn more about the winners and the roles they will play in my town. Rilly!

This is only the second election since my beautiful man died. We always went to the polls together.  After doing our duty as citizens, we’d, full of hope and pride, stop at the school’s baked goods sale table – the P.T.A. or some team or club would always be there selling home made goods. I had to stop by – TAB would've wanted me to. Oh yes he would. I came home, ate cookies and had a good cry. He totes should still be here, ya know.

No comments:

Post a Comment