Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 13, 2018

It's Artday

GREAT art! WHY I didn't bring home at least one of these is UTTERLY beyond me!
On one of my brill San Francisco mornings, after Jen and Michal left for Muir Woods and before my friend came by for lunch and a visit to the de Young, I went for a walk and found the Franklin Bowles Gallery. I didn’t find anything earthshaking but they did have a few cool pieces.

I was particularly keen on Pierre Boncompain’s work despite it being so faithful to Matisse’s style that I thought it was his. Agustí Puig’s charcoal backgrounds with Miro-esque dribbles and doodles were smile inducing. I suppose they’re hewing to Picasso’s advice “good artists copy, great artists steal.”

Mostly the gallery's paintings struck me as high end hotel art which, given my Dublin experience, isn't necessarily a dis. I guess I just mean that the work was decorative versus challenging.

Found at the Franklin Bowles. Sadly,
I neglected to get the artist's name
Speaking of which, was there any decent work at my rental crib on Fisherman’s Wharf?  This was no flea bag, not an hourly rate no-tell-motel, this wasn't no Holiday Inn – NOPE, not by a long shot! Still, I found just one piece – a bright, abstract watercolor triptych in the lobby by the elevators. The prints in Michal and Jenny's room and mine (and, I'm guessing, in the other 530 rooms) were exactly the same and practically insulting in their twee messaging. These had cream colored grounds, were roughly 24"x36" in size with multiple rigid rows of careful cursive pale blue handwriting. Did it say anything evocative or interesting? Nope, the piece, essentially, wished us a happy day. Every time I looked at it I was moved to tell it to fuck off.

I think that Dublin hotel art tour has actually ruined me for American hotel art. There honestly is some good, striking even, American hotel art. For the most part though, the work's chosen for blandness. No one, not one blasted soul, should be able to take offense in any way. Frankly, I find that offensive.

The other art for today are the official portraits of Barack and Michelle Obama (for the Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery) by Kehinde Wiley – Barack and Amy Sherald – Michele.

I’m absolutely wild about the one of our great former Prez. Having him sitting within all those gorgeous green leaves, all that beautiful life, feels perfect. I can’t say that I really care for Wiley’s other work but this one of Obama just slays me.

The painting of our awesome former First Lady? Eh. I like the sweep and patterning of the fabric but the cold, pale blue background feels like it robs her of her brilliant warmth and color. Also, facially, it doesn’t look much like her. To me anyway. Sherald’s other work totally lights fires in my bean though. Love them!

4 comments:

  1. I'm ambivalent about the portraits. They are certainly well enough done, right down to Obama's trademark too-small suit, and there is nothing to my eye at all unflattering, but ... they're just not what I see when I think of formal portraits. Something to hang at home, not the national gallery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like that it's not so staid. The only others like it are Elaine de Kooning's JFK and Chuck Closes Clinton.

      Delete
  2. The mystery work appears to be "Very Picante" by Jim Dine.

    ReplyDelete