Search This Blog

Saturday, February 17, 2018

Sound and Vision

I can’t get new glasses for a month. I guess my left peeper vision’s just gonna get better and better (!!!) over that time so getting a ‘script now would be all preemie – a waste. That’s OK – the lamps, as they are now, give me a dandy enough view for driving and painting. Granted, I’m not gonna be taking any long motor trips for a while. I do have some smarts, ya know.

I dreamed of clay again. Specifically fluid form, molto organic vases. They were terra cotta with bright turquoise glaze glowing, promising secrets, on the inside. When I woke I immediately thought of similar shapes done in stoneware and then wood-fired. When spring comes, when warm weather arrives, I am SO bringing my wheel up onto the front porch. I need the peace, the meditation of throwing.

Back in my college days, I knew a blind potter. She was in the MFA program doing sculptural vignettes of cartoonish pigs. They were sailors on ships, farmer swine tilling fields, biz hogs being…ya know, piggy. Very cute but terribly twee. Still, this woman was a fab inspiration. If blind, I could still be an artist!
Why I live where I live – THIS!
This naturally puts Evelyn Glennie, the brill deaf percussionist, in mind. I would LOVE to see/feel her music live and in person. Looks like she performs, mostly in the U.K. though. The Bristol Jazz & Blues Fest gig look particularly inviting. ROAD TRIP!

In the meantime, I gotta begin a new painting. I’ve a small canvas that's cannibalizable. It’s a perfect size for a portrait of one of the wonderful chums I saw whilst out in the Wild West. I’m inspired by Cian McLoughlin’s work, seen while on my Dublin odyssey. Also too, P-town artist Cassandra Complex. Portraits – they don’t have to be dull characterizations which only resonate with loved ones.

I also need to start a big’un – another painting of The Amazing Bob. Call it grief management – a way of acknowledging and swimming through the pain without drowning.

Sound and Vision – Bowie

No comments:

Post a Comment