Search This Blog

Monday, March 12, 2018

Time Passages

On this day, one week ago, I woke to a newly warm home with working lights and oven. Ya know, this is still a big thrill.

Edgewater Drive, the street to the front of us – running along the seawall, has been swept clean of debris. Fallen tree limbs, a wave-rage exploded dock, previously airborne lawn furniture and other assorted crap are gone. Apart from the slight damage to my house and the section of fence that’s still down, you’d never know that, last weekend, we had a bit of disaster film action here.

Except...Jen, Oni and I are still exhausted. A full weekend of unabated fear and then, silly us, jumping into the work week as though nothing untoward had just gone down, will do that to a body. We three Valhallans crashed on both Saturday and Sunday, doing very little besides watching TV, snacking and quaffing the grape.

OK, I managed to hit the gym AND take a nice low-tide walk along Edgewater. Yesterday was a brill, sunny mid 40ยบ day. It was glorious. Funny and wild too – to be poking along amongst the shells and rocks when, so very recently, this was the scene of a roiling, frenzied mare agitato.

Our neighbors on the other side of the Neck are still doing clean up, assessing damage and seeing about having repairs made. I heard through the grapevine that our wonderful contractor's house (Chris is AWESOME) is a total loss. The flood waters came clear up to his second floor.

I want to do something to help but what? I’ll check into the grapevine – see if anyone has ideas on what Chris might need.

My Coleman lantern arrived and it's a glowing beauty. Depending on the price of other repairs, I'll move ahead with my wood stove plan. Heat and light – in a disaster, those are wonderfully calming things.

Humor keeps us alive. Humor and food. Don't forget food. You can go a week without laughing.
~ Joss Whedon

Yes but I'd rather not.

It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.
~ Leon C. Megginson

Great. I'm not the strongest or the smartest AND I have a hell of a time with the whole change thing. I'd be mega fucked if not for my tendency to plan ahead for worst possible outcomes.

I can survive well enough on my own—given the proper reading material.
~ Sarah J. Maas, Throne of Glass 

Yup, gimme a good book and light to read by and I'm cool...for awhile. OK, throw in a bottle of red and I'm good for a couple days at least.

Time Passages – Al Stewart
Yesterday's very quiet low tide down on Edgewater Beach

2 comments:

  1. Couple'a three million years ago a number of hominoids, of proto-humans, Australopithecus', roamed the savannas of Central Africa, somewhat related, somewhat overlapping: of note the Afresis, and Boisei. For brevity (with some creative license), the larger more numerous Klingon looking (later Klingons, not original) Boisei were herbavores, pastoral creatures grazing the open in herds not unlike the Buffalo; the Afrensis, smaller pack animals inhabiting the perimeters were omnivores, would eat anything, and became us.

    It's not the strong who necessarily survive.

    Little bit of a tangent, but ... for the past couple of days my littlest one has had a new (to me) cartoon running in the background that I am thoroughly enjoying. A 2009 release, Monsters v Aliens features Stephen Colbert as the voice of the pResident of the Untied States, his onscreen presence the most amazing cross between Our Tea Pot Dictator and his butt-buddy the Rocket Boy, Kim Jong Un. The size, most physical features and mannerisms all Drumpf uck, the hair a cross between the two, and the face and glasses Kim.

    At the end, after the "monsters" saved it, being stupid, he blew up the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to see Monsters v Aliens now! That and a Star Trek movie.

      The Boisei—they had some killer cheekbones. I feel a painting idea coming on.

      Thank you.

      Delete