Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Critters and Dreams

Unlike Cole, I dream, not see, dead people.

Dream numero uno: The Amazing Bob and I were looking at a series of potential new digs. We were moving. In this nocturnal movie-ola, Valhalla didn’t exist AND we lived in Manhattan not Boston. Nightmare? NOT necessarily!
Randomly, Umlaut really enjoyed his brekkie this morning
The last place, in a very long day of viewing possible apartments, felt like a real winner. It was a large, upper floor, two bedroom RIGHT ON Central Park West. The bedrooms were small but the living and dining rooms were huge and lined with big, BIG knee to tète tall, wide windows with glorious park views. FABOLA!

Even more awesome? The rent – $1500 a month. This is how I knew it was a dream – not that it featured my no-longer-breathing beloved in a starring role but that a two bed crib on Central Park West would rent for less than three and a half Gs. That was the REAL tip-off.

We told the realtor YES, we’ll take it! Only then did she mention Oh, by the by, the place is haunted. We were tired of hunting, the joint was big, beautifully located, GREAT views AND only $1500 per month – we decided that ghosts were an added feature. HEY, the dead could be fun. Interesting. Free entertainment!

A happy dream but, godDAMN I miss that man. I woke but was able to roll over and snooze out again.

And fell into dream numero dos about a girl I went to high school with. We weren’t chums but our paths often crossed. She was a baton twirler/I played flute in the marching band. She was the star of all the musicals/I was on stage crew. Connie was a glittering presence. She went on to have a career in theater and television. She died two years ago (only 58!) from Frontotemporal Dementia. I can well imagine the fear, the panic she must have experienced as the symptoms first began.

Rocky – here on the regular now
In any case, like TAB, Connie was alive and well AND we were in NYC. I decided that I wanted to interview her (for Tell Me a Story? For a formal publication? Just because? Dunno) and introduced myself (knowing full well she’d not remember me – my high school presence was decidedly LESS spectacular). She happily agreed – as a 60 year old TV babe, all publicity, even on a minor league blog, is good publicity. Connie was interesting, engaging and warm and not all haughty as I’d kind of expected. I was surprised that I liked her.

Just as I was able to ask the last, I’d-really-like-to-know-this question *POOF* she vanished. I guess I’ll never know if she and her high school bestie had a post school falling out or just grew apart. They were inseparable back then and, tangentially, as adult types, in the same biz BUT there’s no sign or mention of either on each other’s online pages. Huh. I'm curious. Of course.

Yes, it’s the little things in life which pique my curiosity all to hell and back.

Also here's a pic of Skitter the Skittish in a rare moment of tranquillità.

6 comments:

  1. You look mahvelous! How long you gonna be rockin' the pirate eye patch? Maybe this time you should go for the bandana-tied-low look instead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grazie, min ami! The eye's gonna take 10 days to two weeks to heal so, I'm figuring, I'll wear the patch (when in public) for a week. Jen, of course, thinks I look very punk rock and cool now. I believe I may have flipped her off for that.

      Delete
  2. Depends on the sort of haunting. I mean, if it's a cold spot on the floor and weird creaking, then hey, not so bad. If it's visions of a dead grandmother screaming me awake and blood on the walls, well... Hey, $1500 is still really good for that location. But there would be a line somewhere beyond which I wouldn't go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya see, here's where being deaf is a good thing. I wouldn't hear the creaking and grandma can scream her dead lungs out – won't bother me. Oh and that blood on the walls? No big at all! I'd use it as the background of my next mural. In fact, it'd be pretty awesome – a little Morris Louis meets Scheile maybe.

      Delete