Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Homeness

This is home.

We got a foot of snow here in Valhalla yesterday. Hardly any snow all damn winter but, 15 days shy of spring, we got a foot of the white stuff.

After shoveling out her faithful steed, Jen drove to work. She reported that the roads were just fucking awful and I should let her reschedule my followup appointment with Doc Coumans – my back surgeon. I did. She did. Phew!

A good thing about this aging shit I, unaccountably, seem to experience, on occasion, the ability to cut myself a bit 'o' slack. I don’t need to prove a thing to anyone anymore. I don't gotta brave the snow covered roads and auto jockeys who think that a foot of snow is a total tip off to DRIVE FASTER NOW. See? Getting older is NOT all can’t-lose-weight, knees-hurting, forgot-where-I-put-my-glasses (OH-they’re on-my-head?), gotta-pee-all-the-damn-time pain. There really are some good parts about getting older.

So yeah…no. I didn’t drive into town. Instead, I spent the day here at home doing tax prep crap, cleaning and reading. It was an absofucking thrilling day, I’m tellin’ you! Coco enjoyed the hell out of it. Me being home meant that she had a warm lap at her beck and call practically ALL day. Kittens have needs too, ya know.
Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.
~
Lao Tzu 
Workin’ on it.

 Is it possible for home to be a person (and/or persons), versus place?

Yes. The Amazing Bob AND Jen and Oni were my home. We could’ve lived on Mars – it woulda been home because they were there. If Jen and Oni weren’t here now, with TAB having taken a permanent exit stage left, Valhalla would be just where I live but it wouldn't be home. If Ten was here, my state of homeness would be MONDO complete.
“After all," Anne had said to Marilla once, "I believe the nicest and sweetest days are not those on which anything very splendid or wonderful or exciting happens but just those that bring simple little pleasures, following one another softly, like pearls slipping off a string.”
~ L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Avonlea
OK, I agree BUT I’m thinking on all those amazing places that Ten took me, back in September on the Slack Jaw Tour. Of course, I’m also remembering the days we did nothing but hang out, reading, talking and just being together. DAY-UM that man is wonderfully comfortable!

Yep, I’m missing Ten. I bought a ticket. I’m takin’ the ride.
Buy the ticket, take the ride...and if it occasionally gets a little heavier than what you had in mind, well...maybe chalk it up to forced consciousness expansion: Tune in, freak out, get beaten.
~ Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Also too, as I called out in my carnie days – you can’t win if you don’t play.

4 comments:

  1. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

    I agree with the thoughts presented here insofar as I know I am more attached to people than places. I don't know whether that is right or worse or whatever, but it's how my head works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 😊 mine too plus, I've always been up for an interesting ride that's staring me in the face.

      Delete
  2. It's a rodeo expression, with a little bit of you never know what might happen when you open that door. If you're called to it, do it.

    ReplyDelete