Search This Blog

Saturday, June 1, 2019

A Lesson Learned

Isn’t the whole idea of customer service, winning customer service, to keep the customer satisfied? Apparently the folks at Dollar Rent A Car never got that neato keen, elementary lesson.

The short version:
I reserved a car online. I would be paying for it (visit to Daddy) but Ten would be doing the driving. Also, he would be the phone contact (given my whole deaf dealio). I paid online since paying in advance afforded me a whopping $10 discount.

Lovely, lovely right?

We get to the desk at the Pittsburgh airport where they tell us they need Ten’s credit card for payment NOT mine since I won’t be driving (if there’s logic here, it blew right past me). Now then, I'd already PRE-paid and a credit card switch wasn’t possible. The woman “helping” us said that I needed to call the people through whom I’d booked (it was Dollar NOT a third party. I told her that, fer fuck’s sake). I would need to cancel and rebook BUT I’d have to be the driver.

By this time the manager had come over. She kept repeating the very same thing.

I asked the manager to simply switch me in as driver on the current rental (made and already paid for with MY credit card). NO. She was unable or unwilling to do that. She repeated her YOU-have-to-make-the-call mantra. I reminded her that I’m deaf and couldn’t make the phone call. I asked if she, in her managerial position, could make that call for me. Ya know, expedite shit like a good manager.

NO. She either could not or would not. I was beginning to feel as though I’d slipped into the Matrix (wanted to offer her the red pill or maybe it’s the blue…I forget which is which now). These people were powerless, helpless, programmed drones

I had ALREADY paid for the damn rental (perhaps I mentioned that?) and was reluctant to walk away without a car OR refund but, up against this shit-tastic, robotic service, I had to go.

We went over to the Thrifty Rent A Car counter not knowing that the same corporation owns both. The calm and composed woman listened to our woe-filled tale. She was unable to fix things BUT she told Ten where to call and what corporate lingo to sling in order to get my $100 refunded.

Later, Ten made the call. NO, Dollar would NOT issue a refund because FINE PRINT.  I only mention it but, if there’s some important deal making shit that NEEDS to be known, it really doesn’t make sense to put that in grey, four point Helvetica Ultra Light at the back side of your website.

I only mention it but I’ve been renting cars, with me paying and someone else driving, for years. I’ve NEVER had this problem before (and I’m 60 fer Bast’s sake!).

What have I learned? NEVER, EVER rent a car from Dollar, Thrifty OR Hertz (Hertz Corporation owns all three). Also, I’ll NEVER pay on line for a rental car again.

2 comments:

  1. A worthwhile tip. There are plenty of other car-rental companies out there.

    These people don't seem to realize that it's the age of the internet and if they act like jerks, a whole lot of people are going to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so and I hope all who hear/read do NOT use such a pygmy-cockroach hearted company again.

      Delete