Search This Blog

Monday, August 31, 2020

Today's Phrase

Coco doe NOT approve of doomscrolling
Doomscrolling

What is Doomscrolling (AKA Doomsurfing)?
the act of endlessly scrolling down one's news apps, Twitter, and social media and reading bad news (source)
Given that I’m spending a shit-ton of time laying flat on my scarred and aching back AND I just finished my last silly sci fi novel (I can’t get to the library yet but I have ordered more escapism online), I’m spending WAY too much fucking time doomsurfing. This isn’t good. It inspires, amongst other things, feelings of hopelessness.
  • I can’t join marches and protests (WHY do I feel guilt about that?! Fer fuck’s sake, I can’t yet walk an eighth of a mile without ultra stabby pain).
  • I don’t have spare buckos to donate to all the worthy causes and politicos I want to see triumph.
  • For my mental health’s sake AND because it feels utterly pointless, I don’t engage in “discussion” of hot topics with reality denying  Trump voters.
For now, about all I CAN do, in 64 days, is VOTE. I’ll do it in person too. With Treasonweasel’s appointment of his 1.2 million dollar donor, Lapdog DeJoy, I want to be absolutely positive my vote is in the tank.

Doomscrolling isn’t doing me and my recovery any favors. I want to be well informed BUT I gotta bin this obsession. How can I stop or, at the very least, cut down on this unhealthy habit?
  • Leave my phone in another room OR in my desk drawer? Sounds great BUT I need the fucker close at hand since it’s how I “hear” all my visiting nurses and physical therapists. Also, now that Jen’s in strict quarantine, until Friday, it’s the only way she and I can kibitz. That’s molto importante and shit.
  • Do NOT read the All-Is-Already-Lost/Trump’s-Already-Won blogs OR the similarly themed newspaper opinion columns.
  • Ignore my pop up news alerts.
  • Put myself on a strict schedule. e.g.: I can check the newsfeeds but no more than two or three times a day.
  • Find my damn drawing pads and start scribbling already! NOT being able to paint (OR lose myself in wild, unbridled music) isn’t helping matters AT ALL. Doodling WILL help.
There’s no shortage of bad news – there never will be. Why? Humans. We may have some good points but there are too damn many of us hell-bent on greedy self-twatishness over communal good.

I can vote but I can’t change the world or the mindset of even one those simpleton lizard brained Cult45ers.

Exercise, along with painting, have long been my antidepressants. It’ll likely be another month or so before I can get back on my elliptical or go for long camera-in-hand walks. MAYBE by the end of next week I’ll be able to hobble across the street to the seawall. I can sit there, watching the rolling waves, sipping my coffee and keeping an eagle eye on all the beautiful colors of dawn.

Sounds like a plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment