Search This Blog

Friday, November 27, 2020

Food Comas and Other Fun

Yesterday Jen, Ten, Oni and I had a brill, restful holiday. Ten made a veggie Mexican Pot Pie and roasted butternut squash cubes. Jen made roasted Brussel sprouts, rosemary/garlic mashed potatoes, something orange mashed (sweet potatoes?) and some other sides. Oni made the turkey. Jesus that was one metric fuck-ton of fabulous food. Afterward, we watched an ep each of Diablero a fabulous Mexican demon hunter series and Killjoys a fun, Canadian, bounty hunter space adventure.

After, just before I went into a long food coma, I started a new book – All Systems Red by Martha Wells. It’s the first installment of her Murderbot Diaries series.

In a corporate-dominated spacefaring future, planetary missions must be approved and supplied by the Company. Exploratory teams are accompanied by Company-supplied security androids, for their own safety.
~~~snip~~~
On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied 'droid—a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as "Murderbot." Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is. (source)
So far, the Murderbot is smart, witty and just wants to chill, listen to tunes and watch teevee. Also, there are big alien monsters. Fictional monsters are THE best!

Today, I am thankful for 

  • Jen, Ten and Oni, without whom I would not have survived this past neurosurgery and seizure packed year.  
  • Wonderfully entertaining, escapist sci-fi/fantasy books and flicks. 
  • All my awesome friends, many I count as family. 
  • Painting, drawing, doodling and photography.
  • That the Basquiat show (Writing the Future: Basquiat and the Hip-Hop Generation) at the Museum of Fine Arts will be up until mid-May. If the vaccine is available and won’t interact badly with my myriad meds and my tumor farm, I’ll hopefully get outta the house and see the show live and in person. YEA!
  •  AND as Majid M. Padellan, AKA BrooklynDad_Defiant mentioned, he’s:
    …thankful that, because of 80M+ Biden voters, a year from now we won't be obsessively checking our phones in the morning for impending doom and disaster.
    Yes, THIS, THIS, THIS!!!

    Today I’m gonna get back to PT exercising, taking walks, ellipticalling and, in-fucking-deed, eating MORE pie. Please enjoy these lovely parting pics with YOUR morning pie and coffee.

2 comments:

  1. Of you like murderbot, and I do....you might like Ancillary Justice by Ann leckie. First of three books. She liked Murderbot as well.
    Without knowing what a brill day is, I have a feeling I'd like it.
    Beautiful pics.
    Bruce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for tip, Bruce! I just googled Ancillary Justice and it looks like it's right up my alley :-)
      Also, I'm glad you liked my snaps – grazie.

      Delete